Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Mr. Jingles. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures.

Bahaha, check out my crooked finger and random bruise on my arm.. :lol:

I'm not too good with genetics just yet - but here's what I can tell you.
I bred him to an albino mouse whose genetic background I know nothing about. The babies came out mostly brindled, while the rest appear to be silver agoutis with very small white hairs behind their ears. I would assume this means that under the albino, his mate was a brindle, which I thought was usually dominant. I thought white spotting was dominant over many colorations too, but clearly the brindling was dominant in this case.

What do you think? Banded or broken? Maybe both? :p

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
He is handsome :)
PEW Brindles are common. They dont show the stripes but they can still get obese,etc like marked brindles.
Looks banded, but since your in the USA, he could just be a broken with the right markings of a banded.
If you bred him and didnt have any banded, then he is probly broken

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh! So perhaps the mother of his children was actually PEW brindle instead of albino, you mean? Or do you mean Mr. Jingles? One of his relatives (likely a littermate) is actually a brindle, and she has become quite obese. I made a post about it just today, actually.

Mr. Jingle's eyes are actually a little bit odd in that they aren't entirely black - see how they seem to reflect a little bit of red? They actually aren't even reflecting (I don't think) since he looks like this in real life. :p None of his children have this going on - their eyes are all jet black. There were indeed no banded children, so it seems likely that he is indeed broken. Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Mr. Jingles eyes look ruby.
Yes, the mom of the litter could be an unmarked PEW brindle.
Is Mr. Jingles brindle? (My computer is messing up and I cant see the pictures now,sorry)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
He may carry the essential genes for it, along with other marking patterns, without being anywhere near perfect. I suspect that banded, rumpwhite, and dutch are a real bugger to perfect, and require lots and lots of generations to develop, which is why you see folks going to the shows to buy stock of that type.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Jingles appears to be sort of.. brindle with a white band around his middle (it goes all the way around, and his tummy is mostly white as well)?

Hmm, now I really do wonder since it seems like there could be so many possibilities!

Mr. Jingle's other relative (not the obese brindled one, but the one behind him in the first picture - with the reflecting eyes) has even more 'obvious' redness to the middle of her eyes. This must mean they are "ruby?" I am truly fascinated with these types of eyes! How on earth do the genetics work with ruby eyes? :shock:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
He looks like he is some sort of Agouti American Brindle that is either c^ch/c, c^ch/c^e or c^e/c, which would explain the eye color.

He looks banded, but with extra spots he is more likely to be "broken". However, in the U.S. fancy there are 3 genes floating around that can cause that pattern: Banded, Sashed, and Belted. Sashed and Belted usually have thinner bands than banded, and are recessive.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Half of his children look just like this:

(not my image - from another site)
Edit -- Actually, check out my avatar to the left! See?

And the other half of his children are very light chinchilla agouti (or so it appears) all over except for behind their ears and genital area (which are white, which I thought suggested extreme dilution, otherwise there would be yellowed hairs there instead, I think?). However, none of the babies have pink eyes, and I haven't been able to see any ruby eyes, so could this be possible?

It sounds like his mate (their mother) is more likely a PEW, I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong - I really appreciate your input!

So - It sounds like, based on your suggestion, that he'd be c^ch/c^e, which I think makes sense! :D

I get all my genetic information from here: http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/genetics/c-locus.html, but I'm still learning.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The bubs would have to be A^vy/A c^e/c... since mom is PEW, they would all have to be c on the other half of the locus. They are pretty light... I guess Dad could very well be A^vy/A c^e/c^e? Thats very possible and would explain why you got only two different colors in the the litter. So thats means the other pups would be A/* c^e/c.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Mr. Jingles looks like a marked diluted brindle to me as well. those kids of his are nice: I just love those pastel brindles.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are nice kiddies, though a few of the brindles are already getting a little pudgy. Very active, though!

Moustress, some are for sale! *nudge nudge* ;)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
moustress, thats what I always call them too! Pastel Brindles... lol Because I love their lighter colors... but I try not to breed too many of them. Not a lot of fanciers like American Brindles... But I -heart- them!

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Being fat doesn't seem to affect brindles' health, unless you are breeding them. Too much mousie makes for poor mating 'connections'. I kind of like them; they are so nice and soft and warm in the hand.

One of my older brindle boys died recently and when found he was about three times as wide as he was high, having flattened a bit after expiring.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, I thought that being fat does indeed affect the health of brindles and they are more likely to get tumors. But they sure make great hand warmers!

And oh my goodness.. I am so sorry for the loss of your pancake mousie. :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Thanks for the sympathy, liz. It's always sad to find and old friend gone. It's also sad that I have so many meeces that a death on any given day is more or less routine, unless it's one that's needed for breeding, or one that I've bonded with in some other way.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I completely understand. It sometimes amazes me just how much these little critters mean to me, especially the particular ones I have a special bond with, too. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts