Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found baby ooutside of nest this morning stone cold, I thought it was dead but it was very nearly! I took it to our lounge and warmed it up in my hands it soon started wriggling about so I put it back with mum, its nice and toasty now! Do you think it got dragged out by mum while feeding? it was laid on its back when I found it. She is still feeding it so I would have thought if it had something wrong with it she would have dragged it out again?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Sometimes when the mother leaves the nest and the babies are still feeding she will drag one or more out by mistake and may not realise she needs to take one back in, though usually they go and collect them up.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's done it again with a different pup. I've moved them into the lounge as they were in my conservatory which is cold so hopefully with her being in a warmer environment the pups will not get so close to death if it happens again, this last pup was just like the other, stone cold and lifeless, I'm just glad I got to them in time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i've had this once before, with the same pup, the mum didnt want it but didnt seem to want to kill it either which would have been usual, i couldnt see anything wrong with it so popped it back, she did it with the same baby about 5 or 6 times over a period of a couple of days, just taking it out of the nest and leaving it and eventually i noticed that its back legs were a big floppy and so culled it. it was strange that mum didnt kill it herself but she clearly knew something was up with it before i did and didnt want it in the nest. could be something like that? or just a careless/uninterested mum? is she a first timer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts