Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey everyone,

I already posted on this, but I didn't get very many replies. maybe this has never happened to anyone else? :book4

Got a baby mouse, eyes aren't open - everything is going great, it eats, and does its thing.

BUT

Its fur is pretty thick, I'd guess it's about a week old. While cleaning him with a Qtip I think he got to wet, and now his fur is like slicked down to his skin and it looks like bald spots. At first, when it wouldn't dry I thought it would just fluff back up, but it hasn't.

Should I wash him with castile soap and dry it well with a cotton ball? Or leave it and it will be fine? Because I tried just using water again and it is still stuck and wet looking... :( I just don't want it's hair to grow in weird or anything because he was so cute and fuzzy.

Anyone who has taken care of a baby w/o a mother and can help me, please post back.
Sara

·
Registered
133 Posts
As I already said you just need a tiny bit of water on your pinkie and rub very gently holding in a position that when it does the toilet it drips off and doesnt soil baby.
I would not use any soap products and if it gets overly wet dry gently with a cotton wool pad.
The fur will sort itself out, I would not worry about that, when hand rearing the babies are always a bit smaller and take longer to thrive, the most important part is to concentrate on keeping them fed, warm and toileting, the coat can be dealt with later when they are more able to cope with it.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
i really dont understand why noone posts me back. ive given up on this site
Don't take it personally sweetie, there's probably not many people on here who CAN help, and there's no point getting 50 replies to your post saying "sorry, I can't help but good luck". :) A lot of breeders on here (including me) would have other does with litters that could foster a kitten with her own babies or they would cull it, so have no personal experience hand rearing a baby beyond the basic theory.

Unicorn has answered your post with the only advice that can be given, keep the baby warm, fed and going to the toilet. Good luck with it, I hope he pulls through.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I have only once raised a litter of mice, 6 of them, and only 2 survived past weanling... and only one lived a normal life span but was only small.

I fed them on puppy milk, kept them wrapped up in cut up cheap socks in my pocket constantly (school didn't know) and washed them with a barely wet piece of cotton wool, you need to stimulate the toilet too by rubbing the lower tummy gently.

Willow xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.