Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My netherland dwarf delivered 5 perfect babies a couple of months ago but they all died, she scattered them all over the place it was really sad. I put it down to inexperience it being her first litter and everything.

I tried her the once more and again on her due date I found 1, then 2, then 3 then a fourth dead in her hutch :(

I had initially seen one wriggling about in the nest she'd made but to be honest a week on I'd lost hope of it surviving. Then last night she trotted into her sleeping bit and came out with little wriggler in her mouth, and she plonked it down at the front of the hutch for me to see - what a present :shock: :shock:

It's beautiful, very tiny but perfectly formed and starting to fur up. I'm going to take a picture if she'll let me but I'm SO happy one has survived.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have a local rabbit breeder who breeds for our pet store, and she often cross-breeds her dwarfs. The cutest one she ever did was a litter of netherland dwarf (sire) crossed with a double mane lionhead (dam). If you are going to cross, I think lionhead is the way to go :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes me too because they'll be all fulffy - my friend was telling me that lionheads are often put to nethies anyway to reduce fulffyness and maintain the lionHEAD instead of lionBODY :lol:

which is exactly what I'm aiming for :lol:

Julie how could you my bunnies ears are scrum diddly umptious!!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Aww no offence to your bunnies Naomi, but I just prefer longer upright ears, adult nethies always look to me like someone has chopped their ears in half! It's all aesthetics I know. I don't like lops at all, or animals that are supposed to be furry with no fur. And don't start me on breeds of birds with deformed feathers. Still, it'd be a dull old world if we all liked the same things ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
and goodness wot a fat tummy we have - mind you I'm guessing this is pretty "normal" for a lone baby??[/quote]

Single babies can be real tuby guys :D.I absolutly love raising my rabbits I have lionheads that I am crossing with rex to get velvet lions they are absolutly adorable and are just like a stuffed animal short plush body and a mane. My first litter is due June 20th and I can't wait.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'd love to see some pics of the velvet lions, when I was looking for pet bunnies it was a close call between lionheads and mini rex :D I think my dream rabbit would be a broken blue with the fluffy mane and plush rex fur hehe. Someone like to make me one?

·
Registered
529 Posts
julieszoo said:
I'd love to see some pics of the velvet lions, when I was looking for pet bunnies it was a close call between lionheads and mini rex :D I think my dream rabbit would be a broken blue with the fluffy mane and plush rex fur hehe. Someone like to make me one?
That does sound very cute!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts