Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mouse Ash had a litter last night, only two pups. She's nine months old, and I had just taken her out of the male's cage for retirement. I didn't think she was pregnant, and she wasn't fat, so I was quite surprised. Both are BE, the father is my chocolate Christopher, and this is his first litter. Ash is agouti, so I'm really hoping for a couple cinnamon, maybe broken because Ash carries the broken gene, not sure about Christopher. She was really exhausted after this litter. I didn't realize how old she was until I looked it up. I think I'll wait a couple days before I get pics, give her time to recover first. From now on, I'll just use her as a nanny for my other mice. Ash is the first baby I ever bred, born Oct. 10, 2009.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no babies from Sera, the other mouse I was talking about, but I keep checking every morning and night! I have another, Dru, who is very pregnant. I didn't think she was due for another week, but the past couple days she got HUGE, so she might be due sooner than I thought. Of Ash's babies, both are getting darker, one getting darker than the other, so that one might be black. The other, maybe agouti or cinnamon or chocolate. Ash is A/a so anything is possible!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is it that when things go bad with mice, they go really bad, really fast?
And when things go okay with them, they go pretty okay as well?

Here's my story:
Ash only had two, as I've already said. Odd, but not entirely unexpected, given taht she's old and didn't even look pregnant at time of birth.

Sera finially gave birth last night, I swear I thought babies were going to start bursting out of her ears soon if she didn't. She had 11 babies, and she is also older, being the second baby I bred, born 11/19/09. She's eight months olds, and I'm going to retire her as well. I'm particularly interested in her babies, as the father, Frost, was a mystery agouti of some sort, but he died not long after I serperated them. I swear it was heartbreak or something, he had food and water, and I don't think he was old. So this is his only litter. Sera is a black who carries broken. 4 are PE, and 7 are BE.

Dru, my other black pregnant doe, also started giving birth this morning. I looked in, saw she was giving birth, and left her alone for about 6 hours. I check back, and right away I see that there is a baby outside the nest by itself. So I think, well, at least one dead, must be something wrong with it, a disappointment, but there are other babies. So went I go to remove it, it moves. And I thought, hey, it's still alive! It was stone cold and no milk belly, but I didn't see anything wrong with it, so I figure I'd put it back in the nest and Dru won't notice. So I look in the nest, and there are only three babies. That was more disappointing to me, but oh well. Except when I went to put the baby back, they were all cold. That's when alarm bells start going off in my head. I pick up the babies, and all alive, all cold, no milk bellies. And, looking around, I see another two babies that are still alive, cold, and not fed. I pick them all up, and hold them in my hand to warm them. Dru's not taking care of them, and I don't know if I should leave them in there, or take them out. I can't hand rear them, my schedule doesn't allow for it. Now I don't know if I should foster them with Sera, who has babies the same size, but has 11, so adding 6 more would be 17, or Ash, who only has 2, but her babies are already three times the size they were, would she kill the small newcomers?

Ash, if I haven't said before, if my favorite baby. She loves to ride around on my shoulder, and she's the one that always climbs into my hand without hesitation. So I decide to trust Ash. I get the babies warmed up, and put Ash's two with the new ones, as well as some of the nest bedding, and let them mingle a bit to get the scent in there. Then I put the babies back and waited to see what happened. She didn't immediately kill the babies, so I left them alone for a couple hours. When I checked again, all eight are warm in the nest, and they all have milk bellies now. Ash was a good choice, both for her personality and her small litter size. Her first pups are huge blimps compared to the tiny pink fish bait that just joined them, but she's taken them all in, and cleaned them up.

Good girl, Ash.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ash's two have fur, and I'm a bit disapointed (and confused! :shock: ) There is one black boy, and one... something... girl. The girl is a light gray color, but it looks not exactly pure. Not that it's speckled or anything, but like sort of dusty. It's hard to describe, I might be able to get pictures in a couple days. The others that she's fostering are doing well. Their milk bellies were small at first, but I think Ash has adapted to the extra babies, and is producing more milk. I'm giving her more suppliments than usual, so I think this helps too. There are now 7 of them, I found three extra in Dru's cage when I looked again at her, one alive and the others half eaten, so I put the other one in with Ash as well.

My other babies are all doing very well. My oldest litter, from Dawn, should be opening their eyes any time now.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neither of the parents are brindles. I bred the mom myself, Ash is an agouti, so I know she doesn't have brindle, and the Christopher is a chocolate, so if he is brindle, it's very well hidden, as his coat is even colored without a hint of sootiness. I think the strange baby might be a lilac, b/b AND d/d. I have a b/b D/d buck I might breed her to, to see what comes out. The buck's name is Michael, so I'm thinking of calling the doe Charity. It's a book reference.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do mice have colostrum like other mammals do? You know, how in the first hours after birth, the milk is creamier, more rich than normal milk? The reason I ask is because when I had to foster Dru's babies, I used Ash because she had a small litter. But her babies were already five days old at the time, so no colostrum. Now, even though Ash is nursing 9 and Sera is nursing 11, Sera's are just generally chubbier and more active than the 7 new ones in Ash's nest. Now I'm wondering if I made a critical mistake, in depriving the baby mice of colostrum. Remember, Sera's were born only a few hours before Dru's.

On the other hand, I sexed the litters today, and Dru's (Ash's) have 5 girls and 2 boys, which I'm very pleased about. Sera's litter also has 8 girls and 3 boys. I prefer girls to boys, of course, and so I'm happy with the girl heavy litters.

Of colors, so far all of Sera's, who are by Frost, an unknown agouti, are solid. Sera carries the broken gene, so I don't think Frost had the gene. As I said before, 4 of them are PE, and show no color so far. The others appear uniformly dark. If I have 4 PEW and 7 blacks, that will tell me nothing about what Frost was!

Of Dru's, 2 are PE, showing no color so far, and 4 are uniformly dark. 1 is a lighter color, not dark but not light either. I'm really looking forward to what that one could be. It's BE, so what are BE non-agouti dilutions? So far I've come up with chocolate, blue, and lilac. I think it's too dark for lilac, and too light for blue. The next days should tell.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yes, mice produce colostrum
If Frost is an agouti, should some of the babies be agouti?
Liliac be light and blues can be dark so you can still have a chance for either. Ive found that if your not breeding for a certain color(blue,chocolate,etc) then the shade can range a ton.
Wow you got lucky, I usually end up with way more males then females,lol.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I got lucky this time around, but my last three litters all have like 2 girls and the rest all boys, lol, it does even out eventually.

Okay, I know I owe everyone pictures, and here they are!

Here is Sera's little. Looks like 2 black, 4 PEW, and 5 agouti.

Size difference between Sera's litter and Dru's.

Here are Dru's. Unfortunately, right after this picture was taken, my dog jumped on the table and killed one of the PEWs.

Ash and Dru's together, you get the size difference at once.

Here are Ash's two babies, so what is that grey baby in front?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ash's older litter have eyes now! The grey girl is grey, with brown tips on her back... Still don't know what she is!

Mysti, broken chocolate doe, had pups today! The father is TJ, who I now wonder might be cinnamon... Anyway, Mysti is a/a b/b, and TJ is A/a */b... So I expect cinnamon and chocolates, and if I get black or/and agouti, I'll know TJ is B/b. He's produced chocolate babies before, off Mercy my blue doe, so I know he carries chocolate, his color is just so strange no one can tell me what he is!

Anyway, Mysti has 10 babies, 9 BE and one PE. Pictures in a couple days, I PROMISE!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.