Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just sort of stumbled upon this and was wondering what everyone else thinks of it? so i have used Woodshavings but, but i find they never have a ingreedents lable on them which anoys me as i never know what wood is actully being used it it. I have also used carefresh but it really expensive for a small bag of it an it has a wierd smell :/ so do you think if would be more value for money than carefresh? and where can i buy it?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I read on a hamster forum (when looking it up on google, to see where I could buy it) that said it was no good. Lots of 'sharp' pieces, and not very absorbent.

But I can't imagine it being any worse than wood chips, just cheaper. :p

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Rhasputin said:
I read on a hamster forum (when looking it up on google, to see where I could buy it) that said it was no good. Lots of 'sharp' pieces, and not very absorbent.

But I can't imagine it being any worse than wood chips, just cheaper. :p
That is not my experience of Aubiose. its absorbancy is amazing; one of my water bottles bust without me knowing and dripped into the enclosure overnight (a lot of water) Aubiose soaked it all up and was pretty dry. Wood shavings or card based substrates i have used would just go soggy.

I have not found it sharp either.

Aubiose is the best i have ever used, and i have used pretty much everything over the years.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use Aubiose, im half hearted about it.

It's good and you can get away with out cleaning mice out for 10days or so. I used to use wood shaving and i think i like them better actually. They smell nicer! But they get yucky quickly, Aubiose is £10 down here and wood savings are £8.50 for a large bale. There are no sharp pieces i find i get more lumps of wood turn up in my wood shavings

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use Aubiose, im half hearted about it.

It's good and you can get away with out cleaning mice out for 10days or so. I used to use wood shaving and i think i like them better actually. They smell nicer! But they get yucky quickly, Aubiose is £10 down here and wood savings are £8.50 for a large bale. There are no sharp pieces i find i get more lumps of wood turn up in my wood shavings

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Aubiose is the best - it pulls liquid down to the bottom layer, leaving the top layer dry if it's thick enough, so it's great as far as i'm concerned! Wood chips do smell fab, but three days later they're soaked with wee, and if a water bottle leaks everything's saturated - pants! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It seems great stuff from the little I've dealt with it (my first mice came with some) but I thought it might be worth mentioning that try to see if you can handle it before you buy any to make sure that you aren't allergic. It and the cardboard bedding like finacard made some lovely, itch red welts come up on my arms and I couldn't stop sneezing and scratching for weeks after only bringing a handful of it into the house! Before i realised that's what was causing the allergies though I was all for using it - it seemed nice and warm, very absorbent, little odour and the mice loved it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you all for the information. I will definatly try to see if i can handle it before i buy it as i want to check the texture as if its not too spikey i would use it for my chinese hamsters too. Hopefully i wont be allergic .... red welts dont sound all that nice :?

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
You could always use puppy pads to line the bottom of each tray and put your substrate of choice on top!

Ros if I knew you were allergic to Aubiose I would have warned you that my mice are housed on it before I gave you some! :p

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Kallan said:
You could always use puppy pads to line the bottom of each tray and put your substrate of choice on top!

Ros if I knew you were allergic to Aubiose I would have warned you that my mice are housed on it before I gave you some! :p
Tis okay, my allergies always kick in with a new mouse anyway for some reason!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've never in my life heard of Aubiose. ;)

I use Yesterday's News, a pellet-type cat litter. It doesn't clump, there is no dust at all, and it's completely biodegradable (and VERY absorbent!). Here in the US, we also have Carefresh (which is decent for mice, but so expensive! Also, it certainly doesn't seem to absorb odor the way that Yesterday's News does).

Do you have access to Yesterday's News in the UK? It would be in the kitty litter section. I highly, highly recommend it!

Also, remember that if you use wood shavings, never ever use Pine or Cedar, as they cause respiratory problems which lead to liver failure in small mammals. Unfortunately, I have experienced this first hand.. my first pet (Snowball the guinea pig) died of liver failure at only 3 years old, which is young for a guinea pig. I asked the vet to do an autopsy, which she gladly did for me. I never used Pine or Cedar again.

Just curious - do they have this Aubiose in the US?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.