Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breeding astrex mice :lol: i am probably being silly but I like them so thats that.Can anyone out there give me suggestions on improving their coats,they loose most of the curl in about 6-8weeks. Because I also am working on type I am outcrossing to my more typey mice. 1 mating to a strait coat then the Astrex from that litter mated to Astrex again,Iget beautiful tight curly coats while young but they lose them quickly.please help with ideas if you can

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I have no idea how the rex gene works, but I have to assume that having lots of outcrosses to improve type, will probably mean you will lose fur quality.
As with any outcrosses, I would only do it once every maybe two or three generations.

This is assuming that a double astrex would keep its curl better than a mouse with just one astrex gene! hehe

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Personally I would run on lots of youngsters and only breed the two or three that keep their curly coat the longest. Theoretically the curls should stay for longer and longer. But that's only what I'd do, someone else may have a better suggestion. I know it's possible, I've seen pictures on the website of a breeder in Europe that breeds blue astrex and their adults are extremely curly. Whatever you do, don't give up - it'll take time but it'll be worth it :)

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The reason that astrex (or angora, or any non-standard or non-satin coat) is rarely shown is because it's so difficult to breed to standard. Or close to standard, even!

This is especially true because female mice "blow their coat" every 4-5 days as their hormone levels change and they go into heat and any given female mouse may have the genes for a superb coat but not show it due to her hormones fluctuating every few days. This is why the mice with the best visible curls are usually (not always) male--male mammals have steadier hormone levels, especially in small animals that go into heat every few days.

The best astrex mice I've ever seen also happened to be blue and purportedly they were homozygous astrex (Re/Re) and homozygous caracul (Ca/Ca). I don't know how the breeder knew that for certain (as both genes look the same) but I also don't have any reason to doubt her.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
There are many genes for a curly coat - I'm not sure if there is one that is considered 'better' than others to make astrex mice (appearance-wise). The gene that is most common in the UK seems to be dominant, although I know some have also got a recessive form. Obviously a dominant form means that even your F1 outcross will have some astrex. I'd say to work on the type and keep the astrex until older to see which stay the curliest. Then when you have the type right breed astrex to astrex and keep selecting for the best coats into adulthood. It will be a long process but a good challenge!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thankyou all for your advice ,I found it very helpful. perhaps in a few years I will I will have them looking good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts