1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres mine :D

Harry the Beardie :)

My trio of leo Geckos

My gorgeous Crocodile skink (who actually cries like a baby crocodile when scared, hense the name)

Percivals Legless skinks

My Horned lizards
When i first got them about 6 months ago!

And a few months on! :p they are a little bigger now, but near enough adult :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
wow they are all gorgeous!! and look so well looked after aswell! i've never kept reptiles as i thought they were hard to look after but after seeing this i'd love some now!!! ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Julie - Many people stear clear of horned lizards, you may have seen their distant cousins on TV maybe, The thorny devil? a stunning lizard that lives in the desert and eats only a diet of ants!

You can see already why people wouldn't want one...Horned lizards (or horny toads as they are called too) are just the same as the Thorny devil when it comes to habitat and diet.

I bought one last year from a show, an adult male, but he died a week later, i felt terrible thinking i had done wrong and not done enough research on them before buying one, the net told me i wouldn't be able to produce the diet they needed etc, as ants carry formic acid that the lizards need in certain doses to survive, not to mention each lizard eats approximately 400 ants in one day!
They also need a minimum of 30 degree C heat in order to be active enough to feed, thats not hard to produce though, and i find 40 degrees is preferred most :)

However there was those good few people that told me it wasn't my fault and that the one i bought was more than likely wild caught and already on its way out when i bought it (ripped off basically) having not kept them before i didn't have another to compare him too. But its VERY obvious now that he was VERY sick when i got him.

I got these two from a shop in Kidderminster, its seemed a perfect opportunity, they were captive bred 08 and already feeding on micro crickets and mini mealworms.

And i think its safe to say looking at their growth rate and appetite that they are absolutely fine :) and do you know what, they've never eaten an ant in their life! i have an ant colony at the ready and have never had to use it!

I've learnt the lesson anyway and not just from this experience, not to bother trying to find out info on internet, listen to the people that have the experience and not those with just the information :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and thank you for the above comments :oops:

I do love my reps, but i have to try not to get carried away and keep remembering this isn't an exotics forum! or else you'd have threads for my snakes, tortoises, spiders, scorpions and so on too! :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I love seeing the pictures of other species, and hearing about them :) I am fascinated by all these scaly things and would love to keep some. It does not help that several rat owing friends have lovely snake collections too! My OH is phobic about snakes and not that keen on big lizards, but he does not seem so bothered by smaller lizards and frogs. And i really like chameleons too but I am sure those are very difficult...

Buying herps seems a bit like buying parrots. Beware of the unscrupulous dealer who will try and sell you wild caught as captive bred. At least with birds you can make sure you buy something close rung.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes your right, but you can usually tell when reps are captive bred just by condition and also how much info the person selling can give you, age for a start, rep breeders should have records of incubation and hatching :)

Chameleons are great, a friend of mine has around 80 of them and breeds them, again it depends what species you have, theres hardier breeds of chameleon like most things, ventilation and temperature are most important with them, and if you have females you have to provide plenty of calcium for egg production, but female chams are prone to becoming egg bound, so males are a safer bet, too cold and it can be fatal, also too hot can be fatal, a lot of chams die during the hot summers :(

But some can be very hardy, i know someone who keeps them, she has lots of pets = lots of noise, they are by the back door which is usually open for dogs and cats = drafts, and she also smokes a lot in the house = passive smoking chams :lol: but they are doing so well! it can be hit or miss with them, but get it right in the beginning and you shouldn't have a problem :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
They're lovely, Sarah! I just love the Beardie! That's going to be one of my next endeavors, for sure! I just love them! They remind me of puppy dogs! :love1 I even have a viv for my someday Beardie addition awaiting! :roll: I'm so naughty! :lol: :?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just make sure you get a nice one, Harry is a nightmare! and as horrible as it sounds there was discussion of rehoming in the past :oops: but its not gonna happen now!!!

Just have to be forceful with him at bath time and not let him out for run arounds anymore :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.