1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
She is either a pink-eyed brindle or a very dark argente. Sometimes it's hard to tell because even pink-eyed brindles will have a bit of an undercoat.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I think she's a pink eyed brindle. I had a very similar litter recently, and there -was- an argente in the batch, as well as a pink eyed brindle, and some other satin brindles. The brindles, look a lot like this mouse you have. :)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Is her belly lighter? I mean, does it have the darker base as well? And as far as her being argent or not, if she has the dark basecoat from nose to tail, she's argent. Otherwise, Jack etc. are right and she's RE brindle. It is hard to judge from a little picture of a very little mousie.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
moustress said:
Is her belly lighter? I ,ean, does it have the darker base as well? And as far as her being argent or not, if she has the dark basecoat from nose to tail, she's argent.
She's not necessarily argente even if she has an undercoat (what you call "basecoat") from nose to tail, because brindle mice can be ticked, especially if they are a heavily-marked Avy/A (brindle carrying agouti).

Her belly will be lighter simply by virtue of the fact that she's a petstore-derived mouse.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
For example, this mouse:

...was a heavily marked brindle carrying agouti. He was ticked all over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm I really don't think she is an overmarked brindle. I have had overmarked brindles before and none have looked like her. She has absolutely no stripes/bars or even spots of darker color.
Here are a couple pics of her with the PE brindle (very lightly marked, only one black stripe/bar) note the definite differance in color.

And here is the PE brindles fur, no ticking or dark undercoat.

~Hayley

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yeah, that's the things with PE brindles. They can be super clear (little/no markings) or super dark (lots/all markings). She's either PE brindle or argente, that's for sure...if when she's older you breed her to a non-brindle, you'll be able to tell for certain. :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Brindles can range alot in markings! I have some unmarked and some heavily marked.
The only real way to tell is to breed her like Jack said.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, these are my first PE brindles normally I only have BE brindles.
Well I was already planning on keeping her so that works out. :)

I'll post pics in a few months when I have babies from her.
What would be the best color to breed her to tell if she is argente?

~Hayley

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
breed her to a non-brindle, non-agouti, such as a black.
If you get brindles, then she is a brindle, if you get agouti, then she is an argente

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Not quite. The only requirement to tell whether she is brindle or argente is to breed her to a non-brindle. It can be an agouti/argente that you breed her to: if there are brindles in the litter, she's brindle. If there are not, she's not. That's the great thing about dominant alleles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts