Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pregnant dog who is acting really strange. She is 51 days pregnant, she is pacing around has been sick although its sort of yellow colour, she has pooed loads over night which turned to diarrear this morning, she has not done any more since about 10am, she is not panting at all, she was panting a lot yesterday but put it down to hot weather. She is drinking water but not eating but she has been on and off her food the whole pregnancy. Is this her getting ready to give birth? if it is is she not a little bit early? or is it possible for dogs to have pups this early? I have read that gestaion is around 58- 63 days.
I have just maneged to get her into her whelping box and got her to lie down, now she is a sleep.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would say that it's a little too early, but a lot of what you have described sounds like first stages of labour, especially with the panting and vomiting. I'd be concerned that she's been off her food, you would be expecting her to have had a huge appetite during the second half of pregnancy - about double what they would normally eat. Has your vet given you any indication of how many puppies? If she's particularly crowded it could affect the amount she's been physically able to eat and might need a high nutrition diet, particularly when she starts to lactate or you'll see her lose condition very quickly.

BTW, if she was in first stages yesterday you'd expect to see some straining today. If not, I'd get her to your very ASAP.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
If its not to late buy a digital thermometer and start taking her temperature(from the bum).Keep a note of it.when you notice a drop in temperature whelping will occur within 24 hours.51 days would be early and I would be concerned.When panting begins it is usually accompanied by scratching up the bed or hiding.Did you have more than one mating which would give more than one due date?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well she seems back to her self! she is picking at her food plus she is picking up anything the kids drop (food). The door bell rang and she flew :lol: so she must be okay :roll: she has also had a good old roll around the floor for the first time today, she usually has lots through out the day.
She must have just been having an off day.
How many days before giving birth do dogs go off their food? is it a couple of days or could it be a week?
Thanks for the advice btw its great to know you can call on people here and they are there to help :D

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
my dogs have only shown behaviour changes in the 24hrs prior to whelping.When the scratching starts they have always had them on that day.I say day but they nearly always have them late night or early hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts