Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bred my snow corn snake female, Zim to my normal male corn snake, Sram. Eggs were laid on 4/28/10. They are due to hatch any time now. There are 8 good eggs and the eggs have started to dimple. I'll post pictures when they hatch! Here are pics of the parents and pics of the clutch of eggs. There are infertile eggs in the incubator and those have molded over. Those eggs are stuck to the good eggs and the mold won't hurt the good eggs, so I left them in there.

Zim, snow corn female

Sram (mars spelled backwards), normal male corn snake

Zim laying eggs

Eggs in the incubator

Eggs in the incubator - more recent...you can see the moldy bad eggs. The good eggs have no mold on them

A peek inside

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It took Zim a little while to lay all the eggs. By the time I got to them and put the in the incubator, they were already stuck together. I didn't want to risk harming the good eggs so I left the bad eggs in. The mold doesn't harm the good eggs so its not a problem not to remove them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great looking pair of cornsnakes. Congrats on the clutch looks good. Hope all goes well with the remaining good eggs. And I will back you up on this no it doesn't harm the good eggs to leave the non-fertiles in with them. After a snake lays there eggs you can pull the eggs apart but it gets more risky the longer the eggs sit because the adhear together. Don't worry I would have done the same thing in leaving the eggs together.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Oh don't worry, I wasn't be arsey, I was genuinely curious!! I didn't know that snake eggs were sticky! hehe

Will all the babies be normal corns then, or will this mating throw different morphs? (Morphs is the right word i hope? I am so very clueless when it comes to reptile/snake genetics, but it does interest me!)

Will be expecting many piccytures when they arrive!

W xx

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow congrats, baby snakes are so exciting, particularly after being in the inci soooooo long!

If Daddy is Normal het nothing, the babies will be visibly normal, with a few hets of amel and anery. If Daddy has het amel and/or anery, there will be a few amels, anerys and possibly a snow or two..

And yap, Morph is the right word!

I love reptile genetics, they are so easy once you know the basics, the rest just slips into place! Wish rodent genetics were the same lol!

Can't wait for pics x

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These have been incubating for 62 days so its been quite a wait. All the good eggs are dimpling save for one so its getting close! The humidity is high so the only reason they are dimpling is because they are getting closer to hatching!

Both snakes were pet store purchases so I have no idea if either of them is het for anything. I guess we will see. It would be neat if I got some amels or anerys.

Snake genetics are very easy and fun to work with. I'm breeding ball pythons next season. I just need to get a few girls up to size.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
WillowDragon said:
Oh don't worry, I wasn't be arsey, I was genuinely curious!! I didn't know that snake eggs were sticky! hehe
I'm curious too. :p

I thought about breeding snakes once, but I don't think I could ever also breed enough food for them.

I had a friend who bred tortoises (the small kind, I forget what they were called) and her eggs got moldy because they had to be kept moist at all times so she sprinkled them with athlete's foot powder to get rid of the mold.

I wonder is the reason that they stick together to conserve heat? I can't imagine that being buried underground would be very warm if they weren't all together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
WillowDragon said:

Will all the babies be normal corns then, or will this mating throw different morphs? (Morphs is the right word i hope? I am so very clueless when it comes to reptile/snake genetics, but it does interest me!)

Will be expecting many piccytures when they arrive!

W xx
I wasn't trying to be mean or anything in my post. If I came off that way I am sorry.

Yes morphs is the word your looking for.
Reptile genetics are easy as pie... Mouse genetics with all coat colors and eye colors and all that stuff is what stumps me lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
WillowDragon said:
I'm curious too. :p

I thought about breeding snakes once, but I don't think I could ever also breed enough food for them.

I had a friend who bred tortoises (the small kind, I forget what they were called) and her eggs got moldy because they had to be kept moist at all times so she sprinkled them with athlete's foot powder to get rid of the mold.

I wonder is the reason that they stick together to conserve heat? I can't imagine that being buried underground would be very warm if they weren't all together.
I'm not sure how tortoise eggs work but with other reptiles you need to keep the incubation medium moist, if you actually spray the eggs you can get to much moisture in there and actually drown the little babies by over hydration.

I've heard places that the eggs sticking together actually helps to evenly distribute heat to all the eggs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. I keep mine incubating in damp vermiculite. Just damp enough to clump but its not soggy or anything. All eggs have not dimpled. We are not just waiting for the little ones to show up. I'll try and get a picture of the eggs and how they are now (all dimpled) and maybe try and get some candling pics for you.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Using vermiculite makes a lot of sense; just like storing perennial bulbs, you can keep the moisture level consistant. I used to have box turtles for about 25 years, and I stilll dream of baby boxies. They are so dang cute! I can hardly wait to see the baby snakes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trying to upload pics as I type this but the babies have begun to hatch tonight. They might take another day or two to completely leave the egg, but they have started cutting open their own eggs. Now, I bred a snow female to a normal male and I was expecting normal babies that carried amelanistic and anery from their mother, but I got a bit of a surprise tonight. I lifted the flap of the first egg and this is what I found....

The other 2 that have pipped look like anerys but they could just be dark normals. We shall see in the next few days what comes out.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Wow! Do the babies stay in the shell for a period, soaking up the rest in a big growth spurt? And that baby is white with orange and red spots? What's the pink I see inside the shell? The scaley thingie you are touching with the fingertip is a baby snake head?

Can you tell I'm excited? Can ya?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yep, pink thing = a likkle baby Snow corn snake. Snow corns can range from very white (not totally white, totally white = blizzard corns) with just a little pink or a slight greenish colour, to really quite yellow around the head and neck. Some get called strawberry snows - the white and pinkish ones and some get called green blotch snows - the greeenish ones. Some people think there is a difference in genetics with these but there isn't. The same genetics, it's just it varies quite a lot visually.

Babies tend to stay put in the eggs for a few reasons, one is to continue soaking up the egg yolk, full of protein and good stuff and keeps them going until after they ave ad their first shed and then a feed. Also because they can be quite shy/comfortable where they are - it's very cute but frustrating if your waiting for them to come out!

Congratulations on the little ones, can't wait for outty pictures! =D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.