Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question regarding the chinchilla gene in fox.
Sounds odd, but I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about!

Fox is tan which is affected by the chinchilla gene, right?
Is there any way to obtain an actual chinchilla out of a black fox?

And if this is possible, what would the ideal mouse to breed a black fox to in order to do it?

(My first question, please don't verbally assault me for not getting this! :oops: )

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Luxy said:
Fox is tan which is affected by the chinchilla gene, right?
Yes.

Is there any way to obtain an actual chinchilla out of a black fox?
Yes. Breed an agouti carrying nothing (or carrying chinchilla only) to the black fox. Then breed two of the agouti tan babies together. Or, breed one of the agouti babies to the black fox parent.

You must stay away from all non-agouti/non-tan alleles on the a-locus (such as red, brindle, black, and extreme black) and all non-chinchilla c-dilutes (such as himalayan, beige, and siamese). The only appropriate alleles on the A-locus would be Aw or At, although A will work since you already have the tan in the fox.

You have to be sure you have a true fox, though, and not a very poor tan. Very poor tans are much more common, especially in the US.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mice are actually coming from a UK breeder, so I'm fairly positive, at least until I see them in person, the they're actual foxes.
But I'll be corrected if necessary when the time comes!
;)

That's great advice Jack, thank you!
It certainly sounds do-able, I'm looking forward trying it out and keeping you all up to date on it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.