Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? I was told my siamese male Sugar Daddy is agouti siamese, but i just can't find anything about that variety - all articles says siamese is based on black, nothing on agouti.

This is the mouse in question, Sugar Daddy:

His parents are bluepoint siamese and burmese fox LHS.

To me he looks like a pretty normal siamese, with moltlines atm.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Agouti-based siamese (A/* c^h/c^h) is mealy, weak-colored, and somewhat "washed out" like the mouse you've posted. However, poor siamese in general are like that. Here is a picture of how black a siamese mouse's points are supposed to be: http://www.repage7.de/memberdata/drofi/P4043799-1.jpg

Since he has a blue parent, that can also affect the weakness of his points.

Here is an agouti-based himalayan I accidentally bred in an outcross:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! I absolutely LOVE that almost black pointing :p

In Denmark the serious fancymice breeding is pretty new, and almost all our mice are of pet-type and size, but we are some breeders importing mice and trying to breed some size and better types in :)

My Sugar Daddy is one of the darkest pointed siameses here in DK, so you se we have a long way to go. We don't even have a club yet, but hopefully we will get one in a few years :D

I have a himalayan female with nice dark points for a danish fancymice ;) Will i get darker points by breeding her to Sugar Daddy?

This is my himalayan; Caramia:

She pregnant atm, so breeding her to Sugar wont be for at least 3 months.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: No, it's a picture on a box for catfood, I have two and use them for mice/gerbil food ;)

But I actually do have 4 cats which enjoy sleeping on the dining table, so it's not unusual to see rodentpics including a cat or 2 on rodentpics from me :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep there IS such a thing. I think most ... if not ALL clubs don't recognise it as a standardised colour.

At one stage we had quite a few being used by fanciers here.

One of my founding does was an agouti himilayan:

She was sold to me as a siamese.....hmmm...
It wasn't until I started dabbling in genetics that I worked out she was an agouti in disguise!

If you breed your mouse to a black one (preferably with no c dilutes) and they produce agouti babies then it's agouti siamese. If not, it's unlikely it's agouti siamese. The resulting black bablies are still very useful in a shaded program because they'd all carry siamese.
This is how I'm going about my program at the moment, but I'm trying to breed those annoying fox bellies out of our shaded mice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.