Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a specimen of Mus minutoides, the smallest mouse, the smallest rodent, and probably the smallest mammal on earth. It's also one of the smallest vertebrates. Newborn babies are the size of large ants.

I may or may not have a small colony of them. Their cage is so full of stuff to hide in/under I never see them and I don't want to disturb them in case they have babies, so it's a "hands-off" approach. This adult female was raised by housemice (Mus musculus) and is tractable, but only to a point. The red marker is for size comparison.

The pictures are of varying quality because she's hard to take pictures of!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! :)

I love these little mice. They're so tiny it's almost unbelievable, especially since I'm used to giant show PEWs. :lol:

These mice are the size of one of the show PEW's ears!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
hey jack,

have just seen this thread :)

im pickin up 2 pairs of these cuties on saturday, and i was just wondering what kind of set up u have for them and what u feed them etc..

thanks my dear

x x

edited for spelling :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have mine in two 10 gallon tanks with sani chips as bedding and lots of climbing space. They eat the same stuff as regular mice but they need more protein and if they don't have fresh water they can die within a day, so keep that in mind. They also need a constant source of heat since they're desert animals. If you kept them in an unheated shed they'd get sickly and possibly die.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes and no.

Some water bottles they definitely wouldn't be able to drink from. I found some small ones and hung them so that they're barely an inch off the ground, and they're able to get water from them. Depending on how heavy the water bottle is and how heavy the ball bearing is, they may not be able to operate it.

What I did when I first got mine is to leave slices of apple and cucumber laying around at all times so they could get water that way if they needed it, and only after I saw them successfully using the water bottle did I take the fruit away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.