Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow; I'm so relieved! I sat with her tank on the floor in front of the AC the mousery last night for about an hour while waiting for the mousery to cool down. When I went to check on her just now, the first thing I saw was a nest ball. She poked her nose out and took a treat, leaving me to gently pull back the ball to see the 11 pinkies. I heard them before i saw them; music to my ears! They have all nursed, and while they are a little small and a bit underdeveloped looking, I have no fears that Admantine can handle the job. If I had another doe with very young babies I might remove a few, but I'm not inclined to cull any. And now I go to get her a real treat suitable for a mursing doe: whole grain oat cereal soaked in all natural yogurt.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone. I'll post some pix eventually; I don't see the urgency when they are just pink...but I'll indulge you since you asked. Pink is good; I like seeing nice wiggly pink.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On recounting, I found a dozen of the little eekers. I think they were were born a day or two short of full term; something about the unfinished look of the skin, a little too reddish-pink, with a higher degree of translucency than a fully developed litter. Addie' is a very experienced mother, and will probably split the crew into two nests so she can nurse all of them. Even as they were, all together, they had full milk bellies.

Adamant is in with two blue tri does now.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is her third and last litter. And here they are, the whole dozen of them. They still look underdeveloped to me; this is about how they should loook at birth, and they're a couple of days old now...

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I think she delivered earlier than she might have because of the AC not working properly a couple of days ago. I'm just glad she and the babies are all OK.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adamantine's babies are five days old now; normally I'd expect to see fur by day five. They are showing the firsst hints of pigment in the skin, and this litter looks like just what I was aiming for.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They should be fine; I've had litters born even less well developed , and then there are often a couple that die in the first couple of days. But sine they've made it this far they should be just fine. As you can see from the photos, there are a bunch of babies that have nice splotches of color surrounded by a white background, and that is exatly what I was aiming for. I'm not surprised to see what look to be a couple of BEW's, sort of glad, really, as it confirms the genotypes of mom and dad in the C locus as being c^e/ c^e or c^e/ c. This large litter should provide me with enough material to ensure my ability to continue this line.

I am very much pleased.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.