Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was expecting three nice big litter this week but not all went so well.....

First litter was born at the weekend, all seemed well at first.

Second litter was born but no babys :( mums first litter and cold weather could of been a factor.

Third litter was born and only two babys, one of which was dead. :(
the little single baby i know would proberly disapear because they were not nesting with it but it was just laying around so i decided that i would pop it in with the first litter that was born.

When i went to pop the baby with the first litter that was born i was shocked to see a nest full of little ribby babys and no milk bands, The other female was sitting with them and not prodcing milk and looks like she wasnt letting mum on them ether so i whipped her out in hope that the mum would take up feeding them a day 1/2 late.

The last few days i have been keeping out of the nest to let mum settle with her babys properly and when looking under the clear bottom of the tub i could see a few small milk bands :D

Tonight i have a had a propper look and they look like the first day of lack of milk has not affected them and they are looking all lovely and healthy.

I will post progress photos of these as they grow...
not sure how the swirls will be on these or even if they will show up with my camera skills but i will try my best.

photos to follow shortly

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I look forward to the photos :) How many abyssinians do you have? Do they look better in any particular colour? I'd have thought paler colours and satin might show the rosettes better...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have many to be honist, I am breeding and keeping but trying to get them out there at the same time so the gene does not disappear again.

I have 11 breeders of abbys and then i have a group i have just got going of abby x show.
I have luckly been able to buy a few more tubs over the last week so i am gradually being able to keep more mice ... now i am saving up for some wood to make a rack.

I definatly think the satins are the best lookers, colour wise i love the argentines and the champagnes but mainly because the satins look great on these colours and show the swirls better.

here is the babys dad ( more brushed than swirls)
mum is dark so the swirls dont show well in photos.

babys

bit blury this one but i love the little mouth open wide ready for next meal :D

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Hope the little dear isn't gasping for breath. I'm glad you have some fairly healthy looking babies.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does look that way a little but i am confident it was just a yawn, I took about half a dozen photos of them and s/he was fine in the other photos ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
had a head count today and there is 15 babys, two looking slightly smaller ( one might be the foster) i will keep a eye on them.

I will take some new photos of them every two days, next photos of them should show the brushed furr where the swirls should be. ( not sure how good they will be though as mum and dads swirls are not brilliant)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
todays photos as promised ( sorry they are not very good )

you can see the fur markings starting to show now.
you have to catch it in the the right light though.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am really surprised that the swirls show through so distinctly at this age.

My aby carrier litter has been reduced down to 2 by the mothers, both are rump white does, one a black tan the other a chocolate fox (I have had one fox crop up in a rumpwhite litter before so I know the gene is lurking about). Apart from abandoning nearly all of thier babies at birth the mothers are doing well and both of the babies are proper fatties.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you mouseling

ian said:
I am really surprised that the swirls show through so distinctly at this age.

My aby carrier litter has been reduced down to 2 by the mothers, both are rump white does, one a black tan the other a chocolate fox (I have had one fox crop up in a rumpwhite litter before so I know the gene is lurking about). Apart from abandoning nearly all of thier babies at birth the mothers are doing well and both of the babies are proper fatties.
They show at this stage then if i remember right they start to disapear again at about two weeks I think ( not all.. but some of the less swirly ones, something to do with the length of hair?) we will see the development on here though as the swirls come and go ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the last photo was only taken yesterday but i had the camera in my hands and they looked so shiney today :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glad you like them toast :D

here are some more photos , not so much change in them now from the last lot of photos.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
A couple of those bubbas swirls are looking REALLY good! (To my untrained eye anyway! lol)

Congrats!

Willow xx

1 - 20 of 40 Posts