Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
It's too early to tell because you don't know what the PEW is underneath... They are dark skinned though so no pale babies (as in creams, PEWs etc). Since dad is sable they have inherited either black tan or red from him... none of them look red so that should narrow it down a bit. I will guess agouti, agouti tan, black or black tans... Could be something else though, as I said :)

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Demi said:
Aww there gorgeous.I wouldn't be able to cull either :oops:
Unfortunately it is hard for a doe to cope with a large litter - humans have selectively bred them so that they produce a lot more babies than in the wild, which they can't always feed or look after properly (it takes a big toll on a doe to raise a litter). After all, even if you're using the most basic of common sense, they have 10 nipples, more than 10 in a litter means they can't feed at will. In the wild they're built to raise 3-4 from a litter (I have read up on this), which is also what show breeders will cull down to (4). It has been scientifically proven that they can feed up to 4 babies at optimal milk production. Any more than 4 babies and the milk increases but not proportionally, so each baby gets less. I usually take my litters down to 4.

· Premium Member
3,073 Posts
It's a bit soon to say, but it does look like you have some possible sables there from the way the tan blends around to the sides rather than has a defined dividing line. Keep an eye on that really small baby though, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make it to weaning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.