Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the babies from the gray girl that I posted the other day has really weird hair, almost wavy. He/she is a little less than 2 weeks old, but the difference in that ones hair is very noticable. it covers the babies whole body, not just here and there, like one of his/her siblings who only has it on the shoulder blades. The texture of it so much different than "standard" mouse hair.

I'm not sure of the difference between the hair types, so if someone could help me out, it would be great!! I will post a pic when his/her hair comes in a little more and when they have their eyes opened.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thank you everyone! I'm completely amazed by her... she is so pretty. I've been wanting one with different fur, but wasnt ready to start looking for one yet. It was a total shock when I was holding her this morning and saw her fur! Is that a gene that both parents have to carry to make pop up, or can one parent carry it? I'd like to make more, but I'm not sure if I should breed her to her daddy, or one of her brothersto their mommy? Or breed her to one of her brothers? I'm really not good at all with genetics, obviously! :lol: I wish i knew more about her parents background, it would help so much. I will post pictures as she grows. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
i think your best chances would be to breed her to the dad because he for sure carries the gene. breeding brother to mother might not give you any. same with breeding her to a brother. so you should breed the dad with her. that should give you some in the first generation :) . correct me if im wrong!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Erica said:
This was the first time he has bred, and he has "standard" fur...

Should I try him with a different female?
i still think you should just breed him with the young rex girl you have. it should get you more. the probability is about 50% of them being rex. and all the babies will carry the gene so you can go from their

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This could be a case of a Spontaneous recessive and you may or maynot be able to breed more.
Theres both dominant and recessive types (& some semidominant) of curly coats, so it just might depend on what kind you have.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That makes sense too. Hmm... I wish his brother was breedable, unfortunately, that's the buck that has no testis. He might have been able to uncover a little more about it... of whether it is carried or just a once in a lifetime occurance. :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many thanks to windyhill for posting the two links. After carefully looking over all of the pictures and studying the mother and baby, it appears that she is a caracul. Her mother is too. I noticed when I got her that her fur was wavy, but didn't think too much of it. She has a wavy/plushy look to her. She definitely isn't the best example of that kind of coat, but you can see the waves in her fur. Thank you to everyone that helped. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.