Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. genetics. Does one exist? I'm not new to genetics as such, I have spent years researching and "doing" genetics for my mum and her dogs (labbies) and for myself with my reptiles. Fundamentally, it's all the same. However, I've not found anywhere online that is particularly helpful when it comes to mice. It is quite easy to find a list of codes, numbers and a brief explanation of how dominant/not so it is or whether or not the code is a recognised code and by whose judgement.. but that means nothing to a person who doesn't know WHAT those codes actually mean. By that I mean, there are no pictures (ha, enter the blondness =D), no "c/c pp che whatevermabob is a c/c pp che whatevermabob because mouse A was xx and mouse B was xx and baby took on Xx and xX - Xx dilutes this and xX highlights that and hey presto! You have yourself a lovely little c/c pp che whatevermabob. Know what I mean? lol.

So far as I can tell, there isn't a way to "proof breed" a mouse? Corn snakes, for example, if bred to a Snow, will show up their foundation colour genes. This is because a Snow carries both Amel (red) and Anery (Black) which cancel each other out, making the "Snow" (whiteish). If you proof bread a snake to it, it will show whether the snake has Amel or Anery genes hiding somewhere. That is a really basic guide and how I'd explain it to people who have little to no knowledge of Corn snakes, even though there is a little more to it than that if you wanted to look at it further.. yet there's nout about like that for meecers?

I may have just not found what I am looking for and there might be something out there. If there is, can someone point me in the right direction?

Fankies x

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.