Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i acquired a mommy mouse and her babies from my cousin, and it seems the mom got pregnant again before i got her and her babies. I've never had a back to back litter because i know it is unhealthy for the mother. I'm curious... the babies are 27 days old now, and are eating solids...I haven't seen them nursing in awhile, and Mojo is due any day now. Should I take them all out, take out just the males, or just leave them?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I'd go ahead and take them all out, and give them bread soaked in milk, wet oatmeal, scrambled eggs, or other similar soft food for the first three or four days at least to make sure they're eating well.

I'd also cull the second litter to 4 or 5. The mom's gonna be stretched thin, but she should be fine in the long run.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You're very welcome!

It can never hurt to give the mom some scrambled eggs, kitten food, and so on as usual. I generally scramble a big bunch of eggs and keep them in the fridge and give out a half a spoonful (ish) per mouse, every other day. It goes bad quickly but if you feed small amounts often, they tend to eat it all up.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
It'll work out either way; I frequently leave the buck in through the birth and allow the second litter. I believe there are health benefits to doing it this way, provided the mother gets quite a lot of extra nutrition, say twice as much as he had before the first litter is born. My bucks are very good fathers, and the boys from those litters often live peaceably with their sons afterwards. Health benefits: it's my theory is that eliminating the estrus cycling actually reduces the does chance of mammary cancer significantly. I also think that the older female babies benefit from being around the new pinkies, and the older boys benefit from seeing the buck taking care of the babies. I see it as a conditioned response when a grown buck from one of those litters grows up to be a good caretaker for his babies. Some folks think it's inhumane or nutty for me to do things like this....but it works for me!

On the other hand, the litter already there can easily get along on their own with no impact to their health at this point, providing you separate the he's and she's real soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you...I considered leaving at least the females in, but when i took them all out the mom looked so relieved I decided it was best that the babies moved out. There were lots of "say goodbye to mommy" s said from me XD Tomorrow In a couple of days the boys and girls are getting separated.
I'm going to go make some soaked bread and scrambled eggs. Nom Nom Nom :3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.