Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a sickly runt, 9 days old, which we need to remove and cull. The baby looked normal size and healthy until a couple of days ago when she started to really deteriorate. I wish it could have been spotted earlier and popped in the freezer
I've heard Co2 wont work until eyes are open, and throwing would be a last resort for us. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

(These are litters from does who were pregnant before we decided to give up breeding by the way, we haven't started up again unfortunately)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Other than waiting a week and using C02, I would say head trauma would be best at this point.

Willow xx

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys...I just couldn't throw her, so I freezered her and checked after 4 minutes (I watched the clock) and she was already frozen pretty solid, I was "pleasantly" surprised. Please it was so quick and easy for her, but it was awful for me
Still, she was dying anyway, poor thing

I guess this answers my question about freezing pinks...they must just take a couple of minutes maximum

Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yep not long it must have been very weak. Although obviously for a healthy 9 day old baby freezing would be a slow process and throwing would be a more humane death.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I definitely woulnd't make a habit of it. This mouse was very weak and skinny and not breathing quite right. Strange as all her littermates are big, fat and well. I wish we'd caught her sooner, but she hid it pretty well until a few days ago, and then we thought she might have a chance
It's a lesson learned

1 - 6 of 6 Posts