Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and I got into mice at around the same time, but her breeding "strategy" was to just put everything together and see what she got.. And what she got was a whole lot of mice! She decided to get out of mice and focus on her rats, so instead of her euthanizing them all and selling them for feeders, I took on most of her colony... Over 60 pups of various ages and around 20 does. I only took one juvenile buck that has the pattern I'd like to breed for (double banded dutch). So now I'm going to try and sort them all out. I have no idea which ones are related so I'll stick with my main lines, but I'm gonna see what I get out of the litters. Here's a few shots:

3 very pregnant does

Nursing does

Litters from the does above:

An interesting looking pup

More does

Their pups:

the 2 light ones near the centre are SO shiny I think they could be satins

The buck

Him with my other juvenile buck, Buckley.

·
Registered
834 Posts
omg what a lot of meece's and so many colours how cool.

forgot to ask where abouts are you from?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, every time she got a new mouse she would pick something different than what she had, so she ended up with a wide range of colours. Her bucks were all different too, but I didn't want to take them (other than the one) since I have my own. I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba.

·
Registered
834 Posts
could be just me but it even looks like you may have one or two blues in that litter of blacks as well as the satins

·
Registered
834 Posts
Artuntaure said:
could be just me but it even looks like you may have one or two blues in that litter of blacks as well as the satins
in fact i think i count 4 blues but shiprat may tell you better

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Baby pile #1 today

Closeups of a couple awesome looking brindles

Potential keepers from baby pile #2. 2 females on the left, the rest are males. The brownish one isn't anything special but I like her colour and I want to see what she looks like grown up. The two PEWs are definitely satins, and *might* also be Himalayans. The other 3 males are black tans, I will decide which one of them I want to keep when they're bigger. The rest of the litter are all blacks and blues... Is it harder to tell if a black mouse is satin or not? They're all so darn shiny.. Since I don't know which litter is which, and my sister doesn't know which of the mice she bred together, I have no clue where the satin even came from :?

This one's obviously the dam of the tans

A long hair

And one with a CUTE heart shaped belly spot! Her only marking <3

·
Registered
834 Posts
gos what i wouldnt give for a blue or two :( even off colour i'd love em and spoil em and well lol you get the picture
anyone know if you can get blues from breeding two lilacs or doves together coz dont they carry the dilute gene or something not all that grat on genes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From my understanding, blue is a dilution on a black based mouse. Lilac (dove in the UK) is a black with both blue and pink eye dilutions. Dove (lilac UK) is a black with blue and chocolate. So depending on the zygosity of your mice for PE and chocolate, you may be able to get a blue from lilac or dove mice.

You can definitely see how each dilution affect the colour of the mouse..

Here's a black, dove, and blue

And a lilac

I'm still learning myself, so if I'm way off I hope someone corrects me!

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
O.M.G What a wonderfully varied whole big lot of little meeces...the adults look like nice big mousies, and the babies look to pretty nice as well.

I don't know whether to be jealous or....I just don't know...wow.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know, eh? I had a total of 20 mice including 4 juveniles and a litter of 4 pups.... And now I have (holy canoli) well over 100 :shock: Plus that near Hereford chinchilla doe popped out 12 pups this morning, the other 2 with her are ready to burst, and 2 more have started showing signs of being pregnant......

Oy. :|

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Dove is a black mouse with the pink eye dilution. No blue involved.

Lilac is a mouse that shows both blue and chocolate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello gypsy

Your Pic with the Lilac this is incorrect... it must be a Silver... because lilac shows more grey....and silver is blue white dove.. so aa dd pp :)

And the blue baby what color of Eyes it have? When they are red.. it is also a silver...because i think the blue shows like ice..and mostly it is silver...

It is only for information...when you have so so many pinkys...it is better you splitting in other Box. Than they become all milk...

regards tipex

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the US, dove and lilac are opposite, so that's what I was going off of.. Not sure why I thought lilac was blue with PE though, I'm learning from your site SarahY - that list of genes is very helpful! I must have misread the lilac one though :oops: It's strange how much PE dilutes colours! Makes me wonder what exactly Swarlos is... (my PE very pale yellow buck)

tipex, the pups have no trouble getting enough milk. If you read the OP, you would have seen that this is my sister's colony of over 100 mice that I took on instead of all of them being killed.. There's ~10 lactating does, 2 very pregnant does, and 3 more that will have pups in the next week or so. I don't have the cage space (or the desire, really) to have a seperate cage for each litter. When I breed 1 or 2 does at a time, I isolate them just to keep the lines seperate, but I have no issue with group cages. If the pups aren't strong enough to get milk, I would want to cull them anyways, since I breed for health and temperament over anything else.

·
Registered
103 Posts
sarah It is a Question of the monitor...that you have.. in me leptop it looks very icy this dove...so more like a silver than a dove..

dove have more red pigment... like this...

and this are silvers little

I Know that because i breed whit familiy trees...

That a baby have no milk it is not a question of normal selection i think.. I think it's just cruel. But that is your choice..

gruss tipex

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sarah It is a Question of the monitor
I am looking at it on my work monitor. As I am a graphic designer it is calibrated monthly to true colour ;)

The dove tan you posted is even paler than the mouse in question and the silvers you posted are way paler! The difference between dove and silver is determined by how dark or pale the mouse is, not how blue or brown tinted it is.

That mouse is definately a dove :)

Sarah xxx

1 - 20 of 30 Posts