Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting again, I am getting two adult satin does and have already two young does BEW. I would like to have them all live together in one quite big cage.

* Do you think it could work to have the buck in a seperate cage and move one or two does to him at each time and then reunite them in the large cage?
* Or put one doe at a time in to the bucks cage for mating so I can have a colony cage but if I have 2 weeks between the litters I may be able to see from what doe the babies are from....has this worked?

I want to register the breeding and try to find out what the females are carrying, I even have a really good pedigree program for dogs that I can use for mice to register everyone and see pedigrees, IC value, 2 photos of each individual ect. ect. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
It works fine to pair the mice in a separate cage, or to remove the buck from the doe cage. As you are wanting to keep careful track of these litters and will need to in order to make sure this line of satins does not become too inbred, I would seperate each doe as you find out they are pregnant, otherwise you might end up with all 4 giving birth at once and it would become impossible to tell which pup was from which doe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I would like to do that but my friend who used to breed these mice said that it would only be trouble to split them up and then reintroduce them, they would just start eating the babies and such. I am not sure what to do. I trust my friend to know these mice but I feel I need to keep track of what litter is from who so this will not be unneccisarily and/or uncontrollibly inbred.

Do you feel it is quite easy to reintroduce a doe to a colony cage after weaning a litter?

If you put the doe to the buck for mating, when you seperate the doe from the buck again where do you put her straight after coming from the buck´s cage?
To the other does or straight in a seperate cage (lonely?)?

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the does get along now, you will have no issues reintroducing them at all. You can put the doe with the buck for 4 days as does ovulate every 3 days and then remove her and put her back in her colony. Mark the day you put her in (she could have been bred on that day or on the last- so you have a good idea when the pups will be born if she is preggers) Then you just keep an eye on them and set up nursery tanks for each of them.

You will want a 10 gallon tank as does get stressed if the tank is too big once the pups can leave the nest- they spend too much time moving them back if the area is much bigger. Also, cages, no matter how small the space between the bars, can allow the pups to escape. About 10 days before they are due to give birth, move them to the nursery tanks. Even if the doe is not showing, she could be preggers with a small litter.

Once the litters are weaned, clean out your other tank that they were all in and put in clean toys and bedding. You can put all the does back together and just keep an eye on them to make sure there is no really bad fighting. There will be some chasing and squeaks, but I have only ever had one bad intro and that was with mice that had never lived together. Every time I have put mice together that knew each other they have gone right back to being the best of friends.

Does are fine to live alone for a short time and will be fine living alone to raise the pups, but if you feel that your mice would not, you can have them each with a nanny that is *not* bred. If you have any mice that you do not want to breed that have not had litters of their own, you can put them in the nursery tanks with the moms before the pups are born. It would be best to put the nanny in with the doe at the same time you put the doe in the nursery tank. (10 days before the doe is set to give birth)

Some breeders use does that have had litters and have had great success with them, but there is always the chance (however small) that the doe will take the babies from the mom and try to raise them herself (nurse them) and if she is not lactating, they will starve. I would not take the chance and use a doe that has never had a litter.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I put my does in with the buck for about a week, then put them in a nursery tank or with a nanny. If it's the first time a buck/doe has been bred, I leave them in there until she shows a belly. I only put two moms together before they give birth, if one is due a few days before the other, or if the genetics will make it easy to tell them apart (like a broken black litter and a chocolate self litter). If you want to have it set up for back to back litters, I would introduce the females to the buck one by one, about 5 days apart, that way they will give birth on the same day.

After the moms have given birth, I have never been able to introduce another doe without some or all the babies being eaten, and/or fights between the mom and the new mouse.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks neurozool and Autumn2005. neurozool, is it ok to put the doe back in the colony cage, after having spent 4 days with the buck without cleaning the colony cage?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Autiumn: I was *not* suggesting putting the does with babies together- but to put the does back together once the pups are weaned and *no longer* with the mom. This works with a stable colony that will not be getting new members (like weaned female pups, ect) So you have the moms give birth in nursery tanks with a nanny, and raise the litter until they are in their own colonies/adopted/ect. At that time you can put the original colony members together. Adding the nannies will create more issues, but not as much if the cage is clean and new toys, ect.

Mymouse: It should be, honestly, not sure on that one, but I would put a drop of PURE vanilla extract (not the imitation stuff) on each mouse's rear. This tends to confuse them and/or mask the smell of the mice and allows an easier transition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts