Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a buck apparently 9 months old. I have noticed he has not a straight spine but seems hunched up.
Q. Am I imagining a hunch?
Q. Do old mice get hunched up?
Q. How can you tell a mouses age?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
you aren't imagining the hunch and yes old ones do become hunched and a bit spikey furred.So do ill ones though.You cannot really tell how old they are except its obvious when individuals are very young.9 months is old to be paying cash for a mouse.I would expect it to be free at that age or a donation if a rescue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, thanks for that Sarahc. Some things to think about. :? I will think twice about buying from this breeder in the future. Glad I come here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
oh he looks verry old...more than 9 month... i dont would breed with them, it will be carryind no goo gens no health... i dont know how i wrote so...

but tihis one look verrry unlucky :(

viv

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I would guess that the belly of this mouse is flat with ribs like ladder rungs.Avoid individuals that are ribbed.A sure sign of age or poor health.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks
I have checked his ribs, they don't seem flat, he isn't very active, I will not breed from him.

Tell me apart from, kinky tails, and flat backs, clear eyes, big ears what else should I be looking for when buying a new mouse.And how do you tell it's fine in a very short space of time?

It is jolly tricky when you visit a breeder (5 hrs from home, that's local) and your trusting they have your (and your future mice's best interest at heart).

Thanks people, I wish I had helpful breeders like you lot around the corner ;) , not the other side of the planet.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
they should look sleek ,bright and perky.Best not to buy adults.Hold individuals up to your ear to listen for tell tale noisy breathing/rattling/squeaky breath.I have some eight week old siamese.I will post a picture tomorrow and you should see the difference.If you weren't so far you could have had one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts