Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know our satins are just not breeding! :roll: With a good chunk of our mice wiped out by illness the mousery is starting to look pretty empty, and with issues of our own the last thing we need is barren mice aswell!

Ok so we have a trio together. The buck is a big champ lad, about 6 months, and Im pretty sure he'd been successfully bred before we got him (from sarahc...if youre reading, am I right?) Weve also seen him get very enthusiastic and doing his thing with the girls (poor mites)

The does are 5 months (were obviously 3 months when we first tried) and in good shape, theres been no evidence of pregnancy-we did think one had a bump coming in but soon realised it was just podge :roll: I obviously dont want to leave this too long as it'd be their first litter, plus Im sure theyre getting sick of the buck by now. Can anyone give advice on where to go from here? Were pretty disappointed as theyd have been lovely pups

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
said buck mated with success every doe he was in with and I have kept one of his sons as my next breeding buck.I would leave him in with the does permanently and cast out thoughts of them getting sick of the buck.The only other option would be to try a different buck and see what happens.Nothing much else you can do really.The big pale does can often be difficult to get litters out of and if they are well grown ,putting them in with the buck earlier would be the answer,say between 8 and 10 weeks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was sure you'd got litters from him...Thanks for the advice, I think well just leave it and give up on them then! :( What a disappointment. Well, well know next time. Hes such a gorgeous lad, well have to find more girlfriends for him I think

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Sommy :(

Erica we had a few mice taken by respiratory problems, but this trio definitely never caught illness and are really healthy. This also happened a long while after they were introduced. Thankfully we did the sensible thing and culled those who looked very ill and now we have no signs of it, just fewer mice! Definitely need to get some new guys in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts