Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i'm getting told off from my fiance for being 'obsessed' with the baby mice :eek: but they're so cute. I was worried when i found 1 of the babies wandering far from the nest this morning, Lily hadn't seemed to notice as she was too busy stuffing her face. So i left it for a bit, but when it was sat in the corner of the cage i felt sorry for it, dunno if i did the right thing but i put it back in the nest with it's siblings. is that ok to do?

i made sure before i touched it that i rubbed my hands in the bedding etc so that the little one didn't smell of me, but it's back in with the litter now.

It's my first litter and i probably worry too much, i know.xxx

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It's fine. That happens sometimes when the mother leaves the nest to feed herself, or run about, sometimes the little ones will be really stubborn, and not want to stop nursing! :p
So they get pulled out of the nest, underneath mommy.

It's fine to put it back, too, if it genuinely bothers you.
But if it happens again, it's often perfectly fine to leave it be. Either mom will put it back, or she'll nurse it wherever it ended up. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah well thats ok then. Got the babies out today for a minute just to check them. They're doing ok. Still a bit worried about the two smallest ones, but they're lively enough so must be getting some milk otherwise they wouldn't have survived as long. All of them were taking a wander on my hand, so thats a good sign. xxx

·
Registered
120 Posts
I usually start handling the babies when they are 1 day old. I read some study, that the more stressfull situations they have to face when they are still eyes closed, the more calmly they will be when older. And many people have said that my mice are really tame and easy to handle, so perhaps it is true.
I think it's more that they get used to human smell from very young, they wont be afraid of it later.

So yes it's just fine to put the baby back in to the nest, if the mom doesnt seem to notice it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just as Rhasputan said, its fine. I had a baby get pulled from the nest yesterday and momma just carried him back.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol our Lily doesn't so much 'carry' them back....rather pushes them back. lol. well i guess it's easier than carrying them! :lol:

·
Registered
834 Posts
any reason this old post was dragged up again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts