Pet Mice Forum banner

Amtma mousey Breeding Project [Large Images]

26K views 106 replies 10 participants last post by  Amtma Mousery 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone!
My name is Kan. My goal as a novice breeder is to improve the physical qualities of my Seal Point Siamese mice and strive for show quality. I use a basic strategy of vigilant line-breeding between Self Black and Seal Point Siamese. I began this strain as my first breeding project on December 17, 2014, in which I bred my founding pair, a Broken-marked Brindle buck and Blue Rex doe (Image 1 & 2).
Obviously, I started with pet shop mice that I acquired from a local store. Please understand that these mice are not nearly show quality or even close. After my 3rd generation, I out-cross my strain to a Seal Point Siamese buck (Image 3).

I am approximately on my 7th generation and very pleased with my current results. My primary focus is to improve proper type, specifically ears, body, and head shape. Mean while, gradually developing shading and coloring within the Seal Point Siamese mice. My immediate objective is to improve the darkening of feet within my Seal Point Siamese, in which I am line breeding to an alternative doe outside my strain (Image 4 & 5). After proper quality of coloring and shading has been established, I will begin focusing on size and other minor improvements, such as my clearly lacking tails.

I have included images of my current mice. All mice shown have been owned or bred by me. Enjoy!

Image 1: Blue Rex doe
Image 1.JPG

Image 2: Broken-marked Brindle buck
Image 2.jpg

Image 3: Siamese Outcross buck
Image 3.jpg

Image 4: Siamese doe with improved points
Image 4.jpg

Image 5: Siamese doe with improved points
Image 5.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#102 ·
Update May 30, 2019:

It seems that my mice have acquired an immunity but carry a specific respiratory virus. Unrelated mice that come into contact with my mice often become fatally ill. As a result, I will not be helping a local breeder with her mice- since they are all susceptible to the disease. I have since isolated my mousery so that I am not receiving new outcrosses. However, I plan to continue breeding an acceptable amount to counter inbreeding depression.

Current Litters:
3 Extreme Black
2 Roan

Upcoming Litters:
4 Extreme Black
1 Roan
1 Burmese Roan
1 Burmese Tricolor

Here are a few photos:
Burmese Tricolor doe and the remaining are current studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.