All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 6 of 7 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: To all feeder breeders
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mice-lover wrote:
Now if i started to be a reptile
breeder i couldn't feed my mice to my reptile the only thing i could do is buy frozen rats/mice for them.

So, you disrespect feeder breeders for what they do, but you would be willing to pay those same people to do it for you? Seems a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 pm 
Regular
Regular

Besides, those who usually supply feeders to pet shops usually run big warehouse breeding facilities where the animals don't get any socialization and often live in dirty, crowded conditions. I think its better to breed your own so that you get to decide the kind of life they live :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:45 am 
Regular
Regular

ok well it's different buying frozen rats/mice because it's not your pet
it is something that is already dead and yes snakes do have to eat so
i would buy frozen rats/mice for it because i couldn't feed my own pets
to a snake just because it needs to eat or that my mouse was old age..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's an odd logic that you find it acceptable to use animals that may have suffered poor care whilst pointing a finger at people who do maintain high standards of husbandry.A key point here is 'pets'.I personally don't have any pet mice.The mice do not need to be my pets either.They are happy doing their own thing.I still provide a good standard of care for them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Now if i started to be a reptile
breeder i couldn't feed my mice to my reptile the only thing i could do is buy frozen rats/mice for them.[/quote]

That's my attitude exactly. I would never want to see one of my mousies who were hand raised to trust the human hand, fed live to a reptile or any other animal. I think that would be such a betrayal of trust that it's unthinkable. And I think live feeding of rodents to reptiles is a terrible and avoidable thing. Pts'ing and then feeding to reptiles is the way to go.

(I apparently don't know how to get a quote in a little box....)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

moustress wrote:

(I apparently don't know how to get a quote in a little box....)

you just deleted to much,including the first quote/brackets at the beginning of your post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:49 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Hmmm the subjects changed lol this wasnt a post about live feeding for one in some places its illegal and two no one on here i know of live feeds. they breed then cull then feed. Please guys dont jump to conculsions and change the subject to fit your ideals. You dont agree with breeding to feed thats fine, but alot here do belive in it and find a massive benefit to it. This forum is welcoming to these breeders, show breeders and pet breeders please lets not let this get on to a subject about morale's. understand each has there own way and leave it like that, you dont like rereading about it? simple close the thread and move on to the next or turn of the computer these simple actions will save alot of misunderstanding and arguements.

The Village Mousery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 pm 
Regular
Regular

Right, I don't know of anyone that breeds and feeds live (and I know of a lot who breed for food). They breed, pts, then feed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

ok i think mice lover is missing the point of everyones post after theirs.....

Just because we "feeder-breeders" raise and breed WITH the intent to feed them to our own pet reptiles doesnt make us bad people. You would rather buy a mouse that might have been put in the freezer ALIVE (yes some do do this) than see to it that your own mice didnt suffer nearly as much with other forms of death so to speak. I have read many reptile forums and i tell you its sometimes gruesome to hear what these people do to mice prior to feeding.

-smack them against a wall, hit them on the head with a blunt object, freeze them, suffocate them, make them bleed somewhat to entice a reptile more.... etc
The more humane way of course being to CO2 them or as i do live feedings since mine refuses prekilled. at least if the snake grabs it its much quicker than say freezing to death.

I have to agree with everyone else here just because you dont like it doesnt mean that EVERYONE does it the same as for me i treat every mouse whether its alive for 1 day or 3 weeks with the most spoiling treatment possible as i care for all my animals and wouldnt be able to not treat them kindly just because they will be lunch or dinner for another pet

I personally would prefer to raise my own that way I KNOW my snake is getting the most healthy possible meal instead of possibly dying or getting very sick from a contaminated mouse i could buy from the store.

and i for one am i think one of the most gratified and happiest mouse owner to have stumbled accross such a rare welcoming forum if you join a reptile site you hear a lot of riff raff here everyone tries to help everyone. which is terrific i have learned more in the course of a few weeks on this site than i ever had the chance of learnign on a herper site.

Last edited by jessierose2006 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:59 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

:arrow:

Page 6 of 7 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next