It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 7 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: To all feeder breeders
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 pm 
Site Founder
Site Founder

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
It has come to my attention that a lot of feeder breeders, be it rat or mouse breeders, are hesitant to join forums such as this and say that they breed to feed their reps. Well i for one invite these breeders to come to this forum (obviousbly for mice) and tell us all about yourselves. NO ONE on this forum is against Feeder Breeders, and if anyone has a problem, then i suggest that they dont join this site.

This site is aimed at anyone who wants to improve the health and welfare of their stock as well as learning how to breed responsibly. The site is for breeders, be it show, pet or feeder breeders so swap suggestions, give advice and the like, so please dont be afraid to join if you breed to feed.

I for one think that any feeder breeder who will go out and learn about their mice and how to breed responsibly is a good and caring breeder, and thus gives the best to their reps.

SO COME On, JOIN!

Original message from Ruthy

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: To all feeder breeders
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:50 pm 

:D

I'm a feeder breeder, any our rodents are probably better cared for than the snakes! :lol: They're certainly a lot happier than the ones I've seen in some 'mouseries' and 'ratteries' bred for the pet market, and they're very healthy.

Most snake people love animals, and so most are interested in making sure their mice don't suffer.

I think pet mouse keepers can learn a lot from feeder breeders too. Feeder breeders typically keep many, many, many times more rodents than pet breeders/keepers, and gain a lot of experience from it. We see so many more litters than pet breeders ever will, and do many things on larger scales and quantities than pet keepers ever will, but we also do things differently (we breed primarily for health, not primarily for colours and patterns). Whether or not they personally do it, most feeder breeders are familiar with what happens when breeding mice from a very early age, breeding back to back litters, how mothers react to their babies being taken away (and not returned), etc etc etc, and this means we can offer advice when pet keepers accidentally do things the pet world is unfamiliar with. Some mouse people assume that breeding a female more than two or three times will kill them! Some think that breeding an older male might kill him! Some think that mice won't be healthy if weaned earlier than about five weeks.

A feeder breeder won't learn much at all from a forum about how to mass produce mice, so they'll only be around if they actually do like their mice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:03 pm 
Regular
Regular

I say thank god for feeder breeders the amount of mice I shift to them is huge you know how it goes mmm I'll keep that one and that and that before long aaargg too many mice their seems to be no shortage of feeder breeders looking for colonies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:05 pm 
Sales Moderator
Sales Moderator

I give the culled mice to my friends who have reps :D

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 pm 

although I have just begun I am very interested to learn as much as I can as fast as I can... I even sat up late the last couple of eves with a calculator and averaged out the number of pups to a femails litter at optimal health and how many mice one could end up with in a 90 day period with the majority of mice pups being femail and only 1/3 of each litter being male.... and came up with ASTONISHING numbers.... :shock:

LOL!

But I am still game. Might Mice Mousery intends to breed both for pet as well as for feeder varieties and any knowledge you care to share will be more than welcome... especially if it comes from experience!!! :lol: teach me oh mighty mouse san.... teach me!

LOL

ok, ok... a bit overdone... but hey... who said we couldnt have some fun while we learn and grow?

MMM

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 am 

I am a feeder breeder and I love my mice. I breed to feed my frogs, the ones my frogs don't eat, I find homes for them (usually sell to my local petstore) or give them to friends with larger herps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:56 pm 

Hi
I am completely aware of why some people may no like the idea of breeding mice to then give to reptiles, but at the end of the day i think its alot nicer for you as the owner and breeder to know that the time and energy you put into making sure your mice are healthy then goes onto knowing that you have been able to help sustain another persons pet.
I breed mainly because i am interested in the genetics and the variety of colours mice offer. But you do sometimes end up with a particularly ugly litter and they become the mice you sell as food, as you know that no paying customer wants an ugly mouse.
I love all my mice and the ones that are nicely marked are then sold onto my local pet store.
I'm only 19 years old by the way xx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes, Virginia, there are such things as mousies that are just truly ugh-lee!! :o I send my surplus and uglies to a sote that stocks mouscicles as I am one that does not believe that snakes need live food. It's a lot better than just putting them down, at least they are going back into the food chain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:43 am 

I was so thrilled to see this, I'm so happy you guys don't judge us feeder breeders harshly like other rodent loving communities do! I know there are a lot of forums out there where we are simply not welcome. I take a lot of care in making sure my feeders are happy and healthy, but most people around here hear that you kill your mice or sell them to reptile owners, and they flip out like you don't really care about the mice. It's such a misconception and something I'd love to see change some day, and I hope I'm helping to make that difference in my area. Thank you all for being so tolerant! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes, tolerance is very, very good.

Page 1 of 7 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next