It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 4 of 7 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: To all feeder breeders
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 am 
Deactivated
Deactivated

Quote:
Well if your a feeder breeder thats fine but why talk about it on the fancy Mice Breeders Club?
How about join a site just for feeder breeders.
Being a feeder breeder is not much different to being a show breeder. Show breeders cull a lot of mice, it comes with the territory. I cull all of my mice in the end, I don't have the space to keep old-timers. I stilll love my mice. Most, if not all, of the feeder breeders on here love their mice and treat them extremely well.

I believe that humane culling is part of any responsible breeder's duty. Being a breeder is so much more than than just raising animals and EVERYONE is welcome here to learn and share.

If you don't agree with feeder breeding I would suggest just not reading the parts of the forum where it's discussed ;)

Sarah xxx

Advertisement

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mice-lover wrote:
Well if your a feeder breeder thats fine but why talk about it on the fancy Mice Breeders Club?
Most people on this website are proper breeders that put all their time into caring for them and
some people might be hurt about the fact that if they sell a mouse to someone they would be
worried that the buyer would use it as reptile food.
And if you do breed mice i wouldnt be going on about how you sell your mice as reptile food
because i dont no about anyone else but it puts me off buying from someone who does that.

ok im sorry but im the kind of person who disrespects feeder breeders not u or anyone
personally but the fact of the pet mice being eaten by reptiles. I only dislike it because i am a mouse breeder
and i love my mice. So im just saying show some respect to those who love their mice by not saying upsetting
things.

I am not angry just sad and im just showing how much i care.

I daresay that most exhibitors cull just as many mice as feeder breeders. Maybe more. And then most of us just bin the culled animals, whereas feeder breeders cull exclusively to feed other animals. Also, many feeder breeders go on to become exhibitors - the Secret Garden/Sam is one of those.This website is open and inclusive to all types of mouse breeder and promotes best practice - those with the worst practices i believe tend to be pet keepers, who often feed the wrong diets to their mice and refuse to cull litters at any stage of devleopment, leaving does with huge numbers of runty babies and an excess of bucks that they don't know what to do with. If you don't like that, i'm afraid you are on the wrong website.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

SarahY wrote:

If you don't agree with feeder breeding I would suggest just not reading the parts of the forum where it's discussed ;)

Sarah xxx

I think that's the best advice because we want feeder breeders included as not only do many of them have a keen interest in mice but we want their animals to enjoy a good life.I hold the the opinion that if you are unable to cull you shouldn't breed.What are people going to do with the sickly ones,the deformed or even just the excess males.If culling is a problem best just to enjoy mice as pets and nothing more.Graphic talk or pictures of mice being fed to reptiles are removed from this site.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:52 pm 

i am totally for feeding mice to reptiles i just cant deal with the fact that the pretty one get to live and the ugly ones dont but i'm just about coming to terms with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:20 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

It's funny but I have to say I also raise chickens and cows as well as mice. Even though I kill and eat them (not the mice LOL) I love them and treat them with respect and dignity. It's not the quantity of years lived that matters to an animal...it's the quality of that life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I wonder if our feeder breeder friends are aware that ther are some mouse colours we dont have in the fancy side, can you al llook out for mice with three different colours in their fur, i.e. two different coloursplus white makes three, we would like say for instance a black spot/patch, a red one, all on a white background, if you get such a mouse crop up, or any combination of colours, can you please retain its parentsand siblings and get in touch with me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mice-lover, the management and members have constituted THIS forum to be accepting of feeders breeders. It's a formal policy stated right up front. There are no explanations or apologies needed from any of us. I'm not a feeder breeder myself, but I understand the rationale, as meeces are an extremely important part of the food chain. That's what they are evolved to be. It's us breeders who are unnatural. Snakes are fascinating beautiful critters, and I love having the snake keepers in this forum.

If you need to kick over this, you should do it somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:57 am 
Regular
Regular

moustress wrote:
mice-lover, the management and members have constituted THIS forum to be accepting of feeders breeders. It's a formal policy stated right up front. There are no explanations or apologies needed from any of us. I'm not a feeder breeder myself, but I understand the rationale, as meeces are an extremely important part of the food chain. That's what they are evolved to be. It's us breeders who are unnatural. Snakes are fascinating beautiful critters, and I love having the snake keepers in this forum.

If you need to kick over this, you should do it somewhere else.

Very well said!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thankeweverramuch... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mice-lover wrote:
Most people on this website are proper breeders that put all their time into caring for them and
some people might be hurt about the fact that if they sell a mouse to someone they would be
worried that the buyer would use it as reptile food.
And if you do breed mice i wouldnt be going on about how you sell your mice as reptile food
because i dont no about anyone else but it puts me off buying from someone who does that.

ok im sorry but im the kind of person who disrespects feeder breeders not u or anyone
personally but the fact of the pet mice being eaten by reptiles. I only dislike it because i am a mouse breeder
and i love my mice. So im just saying show some respect to those who love their mice by not saying upsetting
things.

I am not angry just sad and im just showing how much i care.

I think it's awfully presumptive to register on a board and just a few days later, make such a sweeping and unfounded generalization about a portion of the community. I think it's quite offensive to declare that the feeder breeders on this board aren't "proper breeders that put all their time into caring for them." However, if our presence bothers you that much, perhaps you should consider reading and posting on one of the many, many, many forums that chooses not to allow feeder breeders to join, rather than one of the scarce few quality boards that chooses to welcome us.

Since you're here and seem to have such a strong opinion on the topic, what would -your- recommendations be for insuring mice raised as a food source for other animals aren't treated cruelly? It appears from your post that your main objection is that "pet" mice not be used as food, so would it make you more comfortable if they were to live their entire life without attention, enrichment, or human contact? Would you prefer they were stuffed by the hundreds into dark, dirty, drawer-style rodent racks, by people that check in once or twice a week, just to dump food across the tops of the bins and empty drawers full of mice that have been drowned by malfunctioning automatic watering systems? Or that the only human contact the mice experience comes at the time they're pulled out to be killed? Would that make the process less offensive to you, because then reptiles (or cats, in my case) wouldn't be consuming "pet" mice? Frankly, I consider -that- to be cruel and unacceptable care.

Page 4 of 7 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next