Pet Mice Forum banner

Everything has its time

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Miceandmore64 
#1 ·
I think as mouse owners you come to understand that their time in this world is short and despite how much you think you are prepared for their passing.. you are never prepared enough.

I went to check on my dear boy Basil this morning, asleep in his hammock as always! But then I noticed it.. His tail - the only part I could see from my where I was standing - his tail was grey. My heart sank, he was losing condition over the last few weeks and I knew his time was coming but I had hoped that it wouldn't be this soon..

I purchased his mother back in 2010 - my first ever mouse. Little did I know, she was pregnant and gave birth to 8 baby boys less than 2 weeks after I got her home. I'm going to admit, I had no idea what I was doing so I barely handled the bubs and when it came time to wean them, I gave them to the pet store and "swapped" them for a few girls to keep Duma company.
It was a few days later that I found out a friend of mine had gone into the pet store that same day to purchase a mouse and she named him Basil.
I guess he was always meant to stay in my life.. because any time she went away, I was the one she asked to look after him and then when the time came for her to move away for Uni - he came back to me.

When any of my animals pass away, I seem to be filled with regrets on all the things I could have done to make their life better.
I should have handled Basil more.
Given him more toys - though I was never sure how to do that when he was a senior boy.

I feel like it was to soon..
Rest in Peace Basil
19/07/2010 - 25/03/2013

See less See more
#8 ·
I rang my Dad yesterday morning at work to let him know that Basil passed away and he came home with a little surprise - a steel cross. It was also really nice that Dad admitted that he will miss Basil, that he will look towards where his tank is to see if he is out for his nightly stroll around the tank.

I think the reason he meant more to me than most of my animals is because for some reason, he made the choice to remain in my life. Of all people to purchase him, it was my friend. It could have been anyone. She could have chosen anyone to look after him but she chose me.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the kind words - it means a lot to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.