It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Freighting Mice to Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 am 
Regular
Regular

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
There are many beautiful varieties of mouse that Australia does not have, such as satin, extreme non-agouti, cordovan,etc.

A fair few Aussie's contact breeders from overseas regarding the importation of mice to Australia. Sadly it cannot happen.

This is not an issue about costs involved, but about our governments strict quarantine legislations in place preventing the importation of many species, including mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, chinchillas, Pygmy hedgehogs, Gambians, etc.

It is illegal for these species to be imported to Australia.

Contacting freighting companies about importing rodents to Australia is not ideal as many just say 'yes' without knowing the legislation (you'd be surprised). To find out more you need to contact Australia's government concerning quarantine laws and restrictions.

So if an Aussie comes your way seeking mice, please inform them that at this time it is illegal to import mice into Australia, and doing so would result in the animals being quarantined and destroyed by border security, as well as fines in the tens of thousands and potential jail time.

Please pass this on as recently there have been many people seeking to import mice to Australia, and I'd hate to see the sender fined too :(

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Freighting Mice to Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If for instance you ended up freighting say for example five mice to Australia what sort of price would that be? Have you any estimate?
I spoke with freighting company who deals in animals every day and they told me mice can be freighted overseas. So honestly they are the experts and that is there job so if thats the story so be it.
You pay your money. You do all the necessary paperwork and the animal is sent. I don't ring government this and that,that is the freighting companys job.
Thats how they stay in business. I am only telling you what I've been told nothing more nothing
less.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

You have been told mich and given links to the government's own website about it he fact it's against the law to. yes mice can be taken overseas BUT NOT TO AUSTRALIA. It's against the laws there.

Anyone who does get a company who either hasn't bothered to check the law or is happy to break the law they will be punished when customs take there mice, the company will also be fined. It's your job as the one paying for something to be imported to make sure it's legal to do so.

The company's don't make the laws the government does, it doesn't matter how many companies tell you they will ship mice to aus, under the governments law they can't the government is the experts in the law not the company's.

One again the governments law involving importing animals
http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/import/live-animals

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

But that said its the freighting company who does all the paperwork for this, they are the ones who know whats allowed into the country, thats what you pay for and you only go by what they tell you. It's not worth the risk for them to tell you wrong things. You ring them make arrangements and pay. Simple. That is their job not mine thats what the public expect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have just spoken to Qantas International air freight and was told no problem with having mice freighted into Australia or out of. As long as they arrive healthy and in airline approved container. If you want to follow it up talk to Airline international freighting where you are.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

mich wrote:
I have just spoken to Qantas International air freight and was told no problem with having mice freighted into Australia or out of. As long as they arrive healthy and in airline approved container. If you want to follow it up talk to Airline international freighting where you are.

That's funny as I emailed that company yesterday after you posted that, I emailed the office in Sydney who have replayed (I'll take a screen print tonight),

Hi Joanne

Mice as pets are not permitted to enter only lab mice for humane testing are allowed

Regards
David

So the person you spoke to is either miss informed about there own laws or they though you were taking about lab mice for testing.

So Once again pet mice are not allowed to be imported into Australia, only lab mice, and only pet mice can be taken on domestic flights with in the country or out of the country.
I would hope if you did try the company would refuse as I would imagine you would need the proper paperwork stating the lab use ext and they would then refuse when you don't have that. (You don't just pay them you need to get the right paperwork all they do is ship it over)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The fines associated with getting caught importing non-laboratory mice into Australia are huge. Please don't get yourself in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 pm 
Regular
Regular

What people don't understand is that ALL freight companies MUST comply with Government regulations. Secondly, ALL live animal imports go through quarantine. As soon as they reach the borders they are seized, destroyed and the people freighting the mice are heavily fined even possibly jailed.

I have spoken with Qantas freight many times and gotten a different answer nearly each and every time. When I ring Qantas freight I am calling a lackey. Yes they do freight mice in and out all the time, funny thing is they probably don't give two stuffs what it's purpose is. Those mice they are constantly freighting in and out of Australia? They're lab mice.
If pet mice had been flying in and out of the country you'd thin Australia would have satin, extreme non-agouti, cordovan, pearl, sex-lined brindle, recessive yellow, variegated, frizzy, fuzzy, tri-colour, etc. Fact is we don't. Why? Because freighting mice into Australia as pets is illegal.

You can believe the freight company of the government body who makes the rules that the freight companies must comply with. If you send beautiful mice to Australia then wonder why they are destroyed at the border and fines are handed out, you'll know why. Australia has very strict quarantine laws regarding rodents.
We don't have gambians, pygmy hedgehogs, hamsters, gerbils, etc. due to these animals posing a threat to our unique native wildlife if some inconsiderate individual decides to dump or release their animal in the bush.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]