Pet Mice Forum banner

might be moving, got some questions

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sys15 
#1 ·
So my mice and I may be taking a 20-hour car ride to Missouri this Spring and I have some questions. I hope to do this in a single trip (20 hours on the road) and ideally I'll break the driving up into two or three chunks. I need to fit everything in my car and this is going to mean fitting aquariums and bins into each other without mice in them. Obviously I'll make sure I don't have any nursing mums during this time but what's the best way to go about this? I'll need to fit the mice into smaller enclosures but what's the most mice I can fit into a 12x12 critter carrier? I plan on putting mice that will travel together into the same tanks a few weeks before the move but they are going to have to be packed pretty tight on the actual road trip and I need some advice. Have any of you done this?

#3 ·
I agree with the above statement but I would maybe plan a few fifteen minute breaks along the trip and possibly let them stretch in a tank or something larger for a time period.

Or maybe but as many as you can into a single tank or bin and let the whole bunch ride in that instead of the small carrier.

Do you have boys being transported too? Cause they can probably all go into individual carriers for the trip and place all the carriers in one bin to carry them at once.

That's probably how I would do it. Just make room for a like a ten gallon with all the girls and but boys in small carriers together in a large bin.

#4 ·
I agree with the above statement but I would maybe plan a few fifteen minute breaks along the trip and possibly let them stretch in a tank or something larger for a time period.

Or maybe but as many as you can into a single tank or bin and let the whole bunch ride in that instead of the small carrier.

Do you have boys being transported too? Cause they can probably all go into individual carriers for the trip and place all the carriers in one bin to carry them at once.

That's probably how I would do it. Just make room for a like a ten gallon with all the girls and but boys in small carriers together in a large bin.

Provide everyone with a water source at some point or by a different method. And I would avoid putting objects in their tanks as they could shift during driving but double the amount of bedding in the carriers so they can dig into a hiding place and feel secure.

#6 ·
sys15 said:
what will you be doing in missouri?
I'm applying to a graduate position studying turtles at MSU. No guarantees but I'm a very solid candidate for the position. If I don't get that one its pretty likely I'll be moving somewhere else for school so the question is still relevant. I'm open to most options and due to some kind of strange issues back home its probable I'll have to travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.