It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Concerned about mouse sneezing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:50 am 
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
My mouse had what the vet called a mouse version of "pneumonia" and finished antibiotics, was fine for a while with the occasional little sneeze here and there, but now the sneezing is bad again. She seems fine otherwise though, she still eats and drinks and runs on the wheel. Do you think she will be ok? I don't want to take her to the vet again if I don't have to. I was looking for what this might be and I found something called "mycoplasma", could she have that, and if so is it curable or is it life threatening? Thanks.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Concerned about mouse sneezing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

it's part and parcel of both rat and mouse keeping and frequently doesn't respond to treatment.Most live out their lives perfectly well with the sneezing.It's more of an issue if you plan on being a breeder or adding more mice.Make sure you keep the cage dry and clean out frequently because ammonia from urine and damp atmospheres make it worse.Most elderly mice will succumb to respiratory infections eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 am 
Thank you very much, I appreciate your reply, that is very helpful to know. I do not plan to breed, but she does live with other mice and will be introduced to a couple more soon, will that be an issue? The other mice she currently lives with do not seem to be affected by it though, one of them has never sneezed that I've noticed and another only occasionally does. She is about 11 months old, so not too old but certainly not young either. Their cage is cleaned every 6 days.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It can be contagious depending on exact cause but generally, all mice will carry the bacteria responsible and only those that are weakened in some way(age, pregnancy, parasites etc) will be affected.It doesn't sound like you have too much to worry about.You could give cleaning out twice weekly a try.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]