It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: help, yellow discharge?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm 
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
The last coupe of days i have been noticing a thick bright yellowish orange crusty stuff on the backs of my fuzzies. They seem active and all but have completely clean nose mouth and ears. One of mother was very ill and spinning in circles a few days ago but I gave her some tums and she seemed to bounce back she also has some paler discharge around her privates. Any tips?
PS. I have been trying for months to join but the activation email never shows up on either of my e-mail accounts.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: help, yellow discharge?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

They're pooing on each other, that's what the yellow crust is. Normally mother would clean up but it sounds as though she is unwell. OR, it coud indicate you are suffering with the same viral infection as a number of show breeders, in which case there is nothing that will help.

Bear with us, we are experiencing some technical issues. Hopefully not for too long, then you will be able to join us properly :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can't do much for mice at that age. I recommend not breeding the offspring. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:16 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi

Hopefully, some forum issues have been resolved now so if you try to join again you should get your activation e mail :)

Post subject: Re: help, yellow discharge? UPDATE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:37 pm 

The litter of ten mostly survived. I lost one shortly after posting. And then another really pretty one right before weaning. It had diarrhea and was spinning endlessly in circles. The younger litter all died slowly over two weeks. The last one grew quite a bit of hair before dying but all the others never really grew. I have tried to keep them separate from any mice I may want to breed in the future but my "quarantine" has not been very though. None of my adults except for the second mother have ever seemed sick. I suspect that it came in on a feeder that I walked past the colony on my way to the snake tank. Since she was just a day or two from birth her immune system was weaker.
I have halted breeding for two months and may stop altogether. However, I got some new ones I'm really curious about. I also Lysol-ed all tanks except one after weaning. Any suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some mice just have bad genetics, it is not uncommon- especially among feeders. Try find a strong, healthy pair. Avoid breeding unhealthy mice or offspring, else you only further the issue. Unhealthy mice should be fed or humanely culled.

I wash my tanks/containers, then let vinegar sit in there for 24 hours, then wipe down with alcohol baby-wipes, then dry the tank off.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]