It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Change of plans!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am 
Regular
Regular

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
When I started out, I wanted to pursue exclusively smaller wild-typed mice, while breeding petshop-quality fancy mice purely for the genetics of it. That very quickly changed the moment I held one of my newest additions, a larger, calmer fancy buck who is a joy to hold and interact with unlike my flighty wild mice :lol:

I am still maintaining a line of wild mice (the idea of working 'from scratch' greatly appeals to me, even though I'll certainly never achieve mice as docile or pleasing to the eye as fancy animals selectively bred over a hundred years for those traits), but my mentality has shifted and I now have plans in place to produce larger, more docile fancy stock as well.

Currently I have six of my seven mice paired up for November 2018 litters:
    1. cc buck x A- Cc doe
    2. ee buck x A- doe (my most anticipated pairing, the ee buck being the largest and most docile mouse I own)
    3. A- buck x A- doe (wild line)

I am, depending on what my does produce, tentatively planning on holding back ~2.5 mice from these litters. I generally cull my litters down at around 3 days and never keep more than 3 pups (kits? kittens? What is the official term for a baby mouse? :lol: ) on a doe. I'm planning on weighing the pinkies when I first sex them around that time and holding back those with the highest weights.

I do bin maintenance twice a week, so I planned to weigh my mice then as they age and grow, at least for a while to collect the data. Eventually I'd only weigh my mice twice -- once as pinkies, and again when the holdbacks reach breeding age (all the while keeping an eye on body condition so I don't inadvertently produce overweight mice rather than overall larger, healthy animals).

I've also been researching various tests and methods to use in breeding for docility (both with mice and other animals), so I'd perform those on some basis, perhaps only once when my mice reach breeding age. So far the tameness tests in mice I've read about involve:
    1. Passive tameness: place the mouse on your hand, gently rubbing it with a thumb. Measure the time the mouse tolerates touch and remains on the hand.
    2. Active tameness: Place hand near the mouse and measure time spent "contacting" (the mouse actively moving towards and physically interacting with the hand) and "heading" (the mouse with actively watching the hand with its head turned towards it).
Seems very science-y and professional to me, hopefully it can help me successfully improve my lines :lol:

As far as varieties, all of my mice are kept in my bedroom, so if I let myself get too caught up in varieties I'll have hundreds of pairs of mice stinking up the place, lol. Ideally I'd like to limit myself to specializing in just a couple of varieties, ideally marked to aid in identification of individuals so does can be housed in larger groups when not breeding, saving me money on bins and saving space as well. I love the color of my RY buck, so I may focus primarily on that color and eventually create my first marked line from them. If possible I would LOVE to work with any curly coated variety, anything to produce a plusher coat, but I'm not sure I'd find any in my state.

I'm excited for my upcoming set of litters and to start improving my mice! Hopefully I'll be back in a couple of weeks or so with updates on my first November litter!

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Change of plans!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Change of plans!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 am 
Regular
Regular

Lake Mousery wrote:
Good luck!