It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]





 Page 9 of 11 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:39 am
Posts: 407
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Yes, you're right on the mark. I have some new blood that I will be integrating into my lines soon. The mice I started out with also had respiratory issues, along with many other health problems, that were successfully bred out. My intent is to do the same again. Excited to see pictures when you get the chance!


Offline
 Profile  
 

Advertisement

 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am
Posts: 436
Location: Maryland, United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 55 times
Update December 9, 2018:

Here are pictures of a few of my does. I currently have 2 Roan litters, 4 Extreme Black litters, and 2 Burmese Splashed litters. Unfortunately, I am running a little behind schedule and willn't be able to breed these beauties until January or February. :oops: Too many mice that I have to breed! My mice have never been photogenic, but I tried.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Last edited by Amtma Mousery on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:20 am 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:39 am
Posts: 407
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Gorgeous! Great tail roots and ears. I'm jelly. :lol:


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am
Posts: 436
Location: Maryland, United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 55 times
Thanks, if you are ever willing to drive down to Maryland again. I'd be glad to share some of my stock.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:39 am
Posts: 407
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 23 times
That's a very generous offer, thank you. I'll have to again when I find the time!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am
Posts: 436
Location: Maryland, United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 55 times
Update January 2, 2019:

Security has unfortunately passed away recently due to the respiratory illness. I have since consolidated and contained the outbreak. Luckily, I have plenty of immune bucks and does! Here are photographs of two breeding bucks, Pitbull- Siamese Splashed 72g and Bougie- Burmese 63g. Although, they refused to stay still and Pitbull was treated with olive oil for precautionary lice treatment.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am
Posts: 436
Location: Maryland, United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 55 times
Update January 11, 2019:

It is breeding season! I currently have 6 litters, sired by Bougie. In addition, I have 7 litters, sired by Pitbull, on the way.

Hopefully, I will begin acquiring Roan in the next generation.

Here is a photo of young bucks from my Extreme Black.
Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am
Posts: 436
Location: Maryland, United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 55 times
Update January 15, 2019:

The mice are doing well! Unfortunately, Bougie died yesterday- experiencing the same fate as his earlier brother, known as Security (nicknamed Dougie). Both bucks shared the best ears within my population, in addition to exceptional overall phenotype. It is unfortunate that they contain an immune deficiency that I have traced to a highly inbred source from a breeder in Maryland.

Regardless, I have provided a listing of all my recent litters and brief explanations.

Objectives:
-Abstract the ear gene from Bougie's offspring without passing the immune deficiency.
-Consolidate the Roan and Siamese genes (recessive) to make progress in my ultimate goal of Siamese Roan mice
-Promote ideal type and face shape within the population

Litters:
Classified based upon parents and genotype- not based upon phenotype or quantity.


Format:
Stud name, phenotype X Does' phenotype, quantity - <designated/best trait>
Notes

Litter 1
Revival, Pink-eyed White Splash X Burmese Splash, 2 - size, type, ears
Revival is a huge (85 grams), scarred, and hardcore Pink-eyed White buck, whom has experienced much hardship of interstate traveling, being bullied by older bucks, living outside briefly, and almost dying to his vicious brother, Ravenous- father of Blavenous. I mated him to my two best Burmese Splash does, both weighing 72 - 75 grams. From the offspring's current 1 month development, they will likely manifest into my best mice in regards to size, and type with exceptional ears. I strive to utilize both the male and female offspring, likely the studs after Pitbull retires. As a result, I am keeping all of them until the minimum age of 5 months.

Litter 2
Revival, Pink-eyed White Splash X Roan, 3 - Roan, size
In addition to breeding him to my two best Burmese Splash does, I bred him to my three best Roan does, weighing 46 - 53 grams, in hope that he will provide the improvement in bone structure, size, type, and ears that I desire.

Litter 3
Blavenous, Normal Black X Extreme Black, 4 - Extreme Black, size
Blavenous is a phenomenal Black buck, in regards to his unconventional large size of 73 grams (most Black mice are genetically smaller compared to the lighter coats). However, Blavenous does not carry Extreme Black and he has sub-par ear placement. One of the does within the colony breeding session died, however her offspring were fostered by the remaining three does. I can not identify the possibly unviable offspring of the deceased doe. As a result, I can not breed the bucks from these litters. I will breed the does to an alternative buck, whom carries the Extreme Black gene- most likely Pitbull.

Litter 4
Bougie, Extreme Black Burmese X Pink-eyed White Splash, 6 - ears, size
Offspring will most likely have phenomenal ears. I must determine whether such ear gene is present on the Y chromosome. If so, I will be forced to selectively breed a buck. However, I can not excessively breed male offspring descending from Bougie, else I threaten the mistake of solidifying poor immune deficiency in the population. As a result, I will have to wait and age viable buck offspring for a year before breeding- thus determining the healthiest long-term buck of Bougie.

Litter 5
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Siamese Piebald, 1 - Siamese, ears, size, type
Pitbull is my current best overall male. He has an abnormally larger head and bone structure compared to my other mice. He weighs 86 grams and is very athletic for his size, much more than Revival. He also has above average ears and the best head shape- thick, chiseled, shovel-like head. He is currently 1 and half years old, which is why I am confident in regards to the viability of his genotype. The Siamese Piebald doe shares similar features to him and has slightly better ears. I hope to acquire some fabulous Seal Point Siamese offspring from this pair!

Litter 6
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Chocolate, 1 - Siamese, ears
I mated Pitbull with a Chocolate doe that had the second best ears in my population (the first being Bougie). In addition, she does not carry the immune deficiency because she originates from a completely different lineage. I predict that it may be a completely different ear mutation compared to Bougie's. The negative aspect is that she is Chocolate and does not carry Siamese or Roan.

Litter 7
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Roan, 1 - Siamese, Roan, size, type
The Roan doe was a random appearance from an Extreme Black pairing. However, her sister developed a tumor early in development. I am hoping to acquire Roan and/or Roan-carrying mice.

Litter 8
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Burmese, 2 - Siamese, size, type
The Burmese does have great size and type. However, they have slight and infrequent wheezing. I will not be breeding the bucks of this offspring to avoid the promotion of respiratory vulnerability.

Litter 9
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Normal Black, 2 - Siamese, size
The Normal Black does have great size, similarly to Blavenous, and great ears. However, they have slight and infrequent wheezing. I will not be breeding the bucks of this offspring to avoid the promotion of respiratory vulnerability.

Mouse Book
I am in the final stages of completing a book in regards to the selective breeding of morphology in Mus musculus. I hope to have it copyrighted in the summer when I have more available time.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:15 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:00 am
Posts: 2630
Location: Leicestershire
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 60 times
Lake Mousery wrote:
Mouse Book
I am in the final stages of completing a book in regards to the selective breeding of morphology in Mus musculus. I hope to have it copyrighted in the summer when I have more available time.


How exciting! Keep us informed.



_________________
Join the NMC
http://www.thenationalmouseclub.co.uk/
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:26 am
Posts: 436
Location: Maryland, United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 55 times
Update February 28, 2019:

Another case of respiratory illness is spreading throughout the population. The viral infection originates from a male mouse from Pennsylvania. However, I believe it has recently mutated because it is much more contagious (air-borne). In addition, a male mouse from Maryland carries an immuno deficiency on the Y-chromosome. This has led to the perish of all male descendants of this mouse, in which two were Dougie (Security) and Bougie.

However, I am fortunate that approximately 30 mice are immune to such illness. The bucks within the population are most vulnerable.

Status Report on Previous Litters
Here is an update regarding the litters from the previous breeding session:

Quote:
Litter 1
Revival, Pink-eyed White Splash X Burmese Splash, 2 - size, type, ears
Revival is a huge (85 grams), scarred, and hardcore Pink-eyed White buck, whom has experienced much hardship of interstate traveling, being bullied by older bucks, living outside briefly, and almost dying to his vicious brother, Ravenous- father of Blavenous. I mated him to my two best Burmese Splash does, both weighing 72 - 75 grams. From the offspring's current 1 month development, they will likely manifest into my best mice in regards to size, and type with exceptional ears. I strive to utilize both the male and female offspring, likely the studs after Pitbull retires. As a result, I am keeping all of them until the minimum age of 5 months.

Litter 1 is an absolute success, probably providing the most viable offspring last breeding session.

Quote:
Litter 2
Revival, Pink-eyed White Splash X Roan, 3 - Roan, size
In addition to breeding him to my two best Burmese Splash does, I bred him to my three best Roan does, weighing 46 - 53 grams, in hope that he will provide the improvement in bone structure, size, type, and ears that I desire.

Litter 2 contains 2 viable Roan-carrying bucks and 5 viable Roan-carrying does.

Quote:
Litter 3
Blavenous, Normal Black X Extreme Black, 4 - Extreme Black, size
Blavenous is a phenomenal Black buck, in regards to his unconventional large size of 73 grams (most Black mice are genetically smaller compared to the lighter coats). However, Blavenous does not carry Extreme Black and he has sub-par ear placement. One of the does within the colony breeding session died, however her offspring were fostered by the remaining three does. I can not identify the possibly unviable offspring of the deceased doe. As a result, I can not breed the bucks from these litters. I will breed the does to an alternative buck, whom carries the Extreme Black gene- most likely Pitbull.

Blavenous has experienced slight wheezing within the last week. However, I think he will develop an immunity. As a result, his offspring are under evaluation. Possibly, 8 viable Extreme Black bucks and 10 viable Extreme Black does.

Quote:
Litter 4
Bougie, Extreme Black Burmese X Pink-eyed White Splash, 6 - ears, size
Offspring will most likely have phenomenal ears. I must determine whether such ear gene is present on the Y chromosome. If so, I will be forced to selectively breed a buck. However, I can not excessively breed male offspring descending from Bougie, else I threaten the mistake of solidifying poor immune deficiency in the population. As a result, I will have to wait and age viable buck offspring for a year before breeding- thus determining the healthiest long-term buck of Bougie.

Bougie has deceased due to the viral infection. As a result, all of his offpsring have been non-lethally culled from the breeding population.

Quote:
Litter 5
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Siamese Piebald, 1 - Siamese, ears, size, type
Pitbull is my current best overall male. He has an abnormally larger head and bone structure compared to my other mice. He weighs 86 grams and is very athletic for his size, much more than Revival. He also has above average ears and the best head shape- thick, chiseled, shovel-like head. He is currently 1 and half years old, which is why I am confident in regards to the viability of his genotype. The Siamese Piebald doe shares similar features to him and has slightly better ears. I hope to acquire some fabulous Seal Point Siamese offspring from this pair!

Pitbull has fallen ill. However at the age of approximately 1.5 years, he displays exceptional development discluding the immuno vulnerability. As a result, all but two of his male offspring have been non-lethally culled from the breeding program. All of his female offspring are under evaluation.

In addition, the Siamese Piebald doe of this pairing has developed a slight bump on her rump. If such growth manifests as a tumor, the litter will be non-lethally culled from the breeding population.

Quote:
Litter 6
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Chocolate, 1 - Siamese, ears
I mated Pitbull with a Chocolate doe that had the second best ears in my population (the first being Bougie). In addition, she does not carry the immune deficiency because she originates from a completely different lineage. I predict that it may be a completely different ear mutation compared to Bougie's. The negative aspect is that she is Chocolate and does not carry Siamese or Roan.

The Chocolate doe of this pairing is named "Chica". Chica is one of my healthiest does from an immune and health perspective, in addition to her phenomenal type and ears. Due to these traits, I have ignored her Chocolate coat which is a complete counter to my overall coat objective. Her offspring have developed well and as a result, I am keeping two of her sons with Pitbull for further evaluation. One buck is a light Roan with a pink eye and ruby eye (odd-eye). The other buck is a Chocolate Merle.

Quote:
Litter 7
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Roan, 1 - Siamese, Roan, size, type
The Roan doe was a random appearance from an Extreme Black pairing. However, her sister developed a tumor early in development. I am hoping to acquire Roan and/or Roan-carrying mice.

Will be breeding one of the two Roan bucks from Revival's litter (litter 2) to the does of this litter. This will serve as the foundation of my future Roan and Merle line.

Quote:
Litter 8
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Burmese, 2 - Siamese, size, type
The Burmese does have great size and type. However, they have slight and infrequent wheezing. I will not be breeding the bucks of this offspring to avoid the promotion of respiratory vulnerability.

I am not enthralled by the health displayed by these does during nursing. As a result, I will be selectively breeding only 2-5 does from these two litters.

Quote:
Litter 9
Pitbull, Seal Point Siamese Splash X Normal Black, 2 - Siamese, size
The Normal Black does have great size, similarly to Blavenous, and great ears. However, they have slight and infrequent wheezing. I will not be breeding the bucks of this offspring to avoid the promotion of respiratory vulnerability.

I am not enthralled by the health displayed by these does during nursing. As a result, I will be selectively breeding only 1-5 does from these two litters. In addition, I acquired a lot of unwanted PEW mice from these litters.

Upcoming Tricolor Mice
As stated in the past, I am assisting a fellow mouse breeder and friend with her mice population. She breeds Brindle Tri-Color mice, genotype: A^y/* B/* c^ch/c^ch s/s Spl/*.

I have two litters of Burmese Tricolors. I think they are very cute and aesthetically different from my regular mice. Photos soon!

Future Experiment
Due to graduate school, I am forced to drastically reduce my breeding populations for the next 3 years. However, from this manifestation, I will also be conducting a test regarding selective breeding of late-matured mice and its effects on inbreeding depression. Per strain, I will begin breeding 5 female mice at the age of 8 months. Of those 5 original does, the 2 female mice that developed the best will be bred again at 1 year age. Bucks will not be selected for breeding until 1 year of age. I theorize that by breeding at a later age, it results in: breeding for healthiest mice, thus the ones that aged the least and experienced the least illness, thus the ones that carry the least recessive deleterious genes and contain the best immune system, thus the one that has later thymus devolution.

An associate inserted the manifestation of the degeneration of sperm quality caused by increase de novo mutation. However, in previous studies, drastic mutation rates were present within individuals. Thus, I theorize and hope that lesser mutation rate will occur within healthier bucks, whom have a strong immune and health response.

I enact this new breeding strategy after May, 2019. However, due to this new manifestation, I will be postponing my book until this experiment is completed or developed (likely 2022).

Hyper-Vigor Skepticism
As stated in many articles, especially related to mice, it is thought that breeding two un-related individuals from separate populations result in an heterogeneous genotype. Thus, manifestation of deleterious recessive genes are absent. However, this is a highly simplified view and does not account for gene modifiers. I have noticed from my previous outcrossing the manifestation of unconnected faults within the first generation. Modifiers affect the manifestation of alleles, however the dominance of such modifiers are amibigious. Thus, it is very much possible to implement or manifest additional deleterious genes from an outcross within the initial and following generations. This is caused due to the lack of shared modifiers between the population that ultimately alter the expression of carried deleterious genes within both parents.

Important Generation
I claim that this latest generation serves as a significant milestone within the genetic purging of this population. My last unrelated outcrosses occurred over 4 generations previous. The population is completing its final major bottleneck. I will be photoing a lot of the mice from the recent generation, especially the viable bucks; as they will be the founders of the future strains for above strategy. Photos in my next post.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 9 of 11 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

  • Advertisement