It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 7 of 11 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update March 6, 2018:

So a lot has changed since my last update. My previous breeding plans were not pursued. I realized that I was not satisfied with the behavior, cognitive abilities and health within the majority of the outcrosses. The first few litters experienced increased cannibalism and infant mortality. The outcrosses also had decreased immunity as they developed sickness after being paired. They also did not have the behavior preferences of running on the wheel and overall fitness.

In result, I decided to abandon most of the integration of the outcrosses into my lines. I have successfully bred a Chocolate Merle and Sepia Tricolor within my Roan and Seal Point Siamese lines for increased diversity. However, I have bred the offspring back to my lines, resulting in a 25% foreign genetic variation.

I will begin specializing in Extreme Black, Seal Point Siamese and Roan. I have an abundance of Roan and Merle. I have multiple Seal Point Siamese litters at approximately 2 weeks of age. I have approximately 8 viable Extreme Blacks at approximately 2 months of age. I have also begun to bred a Martin Sable buck to the by-products (Burmese & Beige) of my population. I hope to breed A^y Red in the future.

Current Approximate Stock Population:
100 Bucks
400 Does
100-150 Pinkies

The next breeding session will be pairings of siblings to solidify the preferred recessives genes. I will also be posting pictures in my next update!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:58 am 
Competition Moderator
Competition Moderator

Looking forward to pictures, especially of your Siamese :) Do you have pictures of your setup as well?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sure, I will take pictures of my set-up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update April 27, 2018:

Mice are doing great! I have successfully expanded the gene pool, incorporating all the viable outcrosses. I have selected my studs for each line. I have a few litters growing up. I hope to begin the process of genetic purging by July.

Current studs:
Smoke- Seal Point Siamese
Shade- Siamese Splash
Barmask- Black Merle
Mudd- Burmese Merle
Arrow- Regular Black
Ravenous- C-dilute Splash

As promised, I took photographs of my mice, primarily the bucks and babies. Unfortunately, my mice are not photogenic and refuse to erect their ears for picture time. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the pictures!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update April 30, 2018:

Current Studs:
Smoke- Seal Point Siamese
Smoke is my previous stud that I bred to my Extreme Black does. He is the son of Choobucka, Cheop's brother.

Shade- Siamese Splash
He is my current Seal Point Siamese stud. He has exceptional ears, type, and size. However, he has bad molting and battle scars. I am mating him to all my Burmese Splashed does to extract the Siamese gene. Thereafter, I will begin combining Shade's and Ravenous' offspring.

Barmask- Black Merle
He is my current Roan/Merle stud. He has exceptional type, size, and color. However, I am concerned regarding the placement of his ears. However, it is difficult to tell because he has multiple battle scars. He is currently mating 7 Roan does, which will serve as the foundation for my Roan line.

Mudd- Burmese Merle
He is my current stud for improving type, head, and size. However, he has multiple micro tears on his ears. I believe it is a genetic fault.

Arrow- Regular Black
He was bred to my Extreme Black does. However, he will likely be retired because he is standard black.

Ravenous- C-dilute Splash
I have bred Ravenous to all my Siamese Splashed does, daughters of Choobucka. He has the best ears out of my whole stock population.

Current Mouse Population:
Extreme Black
Group 1: 14 does
Group 2: 2 bucks, 5 does

Seal Point Siamese
Does: 5

Seal Point Siamese Splashed
Does: 21

Burmese Splashed
Does: 15

Roan/Merle:
Does: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:35 am 

Hello! You seem like a great breeder, maybe you could help me out? I am wondering what colors the babies may be if I cross a male black piebald (a/a s/s) with a female silver (a/a b/b p/p).

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Silver is pink-eyed blue, which is a/a B/* d/d p/p

The babies will likely be black unless they have correlating recessives.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update June 7, 2018:

The mice are doing well and their phenotypes are improving each generation. Unfortunately, I will no longer have the available time to tend my current stock population because I have been accepted to a graduates program at my college. As a result, I am decreasing my stock population by 90%. I will keep approximately 40 does and 7 bucks. I am hoping that my lines do not become victims of inbreeding depression and ultimately collapse. In addition, I have recently begun to consider breeding dogs after college. This pursuit would be further encouraged if my mouse lines do not survive.

I plan to do a few more pairings before the end of the summer. My largest Color-Pointed Beige (89 grams) buck to my four largest Burmese Splashed does (70-80 grams). I also want to expand my Extreme Black and Roan lines by breeding 4 does per line. There after, I will make my selection by August and hopefully post images. I will not breed the selected mice until December or January.

Current Breeding Lines:

Roan
2 Bucks
4 Does

Extreme Black
1 Buck
4 Does

Black
1 Buck

Dominant Red
I just incorporated chocolate into this line and will be expecting a litter soon.

Seal Point Siamese (Splashed)
3 Bucks
15 Does

Burmese (Splashed)
4 Does

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update August 20, 2018:

Decreasing my stock has been a very difficult task because I keep wanting to progress my lines. I have seen so much improvement in the phenotypes that I am excited every new generation. I wish I could provide pictures. But I do not have a viable camera recently, hopefully new pictures by October. However, I will be returning to college soon so I am concentrating my numbers. I have a few young Burmese and Siamese Splashed offspring that I need to select from.

I somewhat regret my previous selected stud, known as Ravenous. He is the white splashed mouse photographed in my previous post. He had great ears, fitness, and size. However, I under-estimated his type, which was a very thin frame and smaller bone structure. I prefer mice that are bulky and robust type. However, a lot of the descendants of Ravenous share the same quality of a thin body structure. I will have to resolve this mistake in the coming generations.

My latest breeding buck is Wyvern, who is a Beige Splashed with exceptional type, ear size, and set. He is mated to two Extreme Blacks and two Burmese does. This will be the last breeding session until 2019.

In January, I plan to:

Breed Pitbull, a Siamese Splashed buck. He has average ears but contains an uncommon skeletal structure compared to my mouse population. His bones appear larger and more dense. His body even feels more compact and heavy. He is not as long as some of my bucks but his head and shoulder width is approximately 30%-40% larger than all my mice. In addition, he shows great physical fitness and motor skills. He weighs almost 75 grams at the age of 3 months- hopefully more growth. By expanding the frequency of the increased skeletal structure, hopefully this will encourage larger and more robust mice in the future.

Combine the genetics of Dark (Extreme Black) and Blavenous (Normal Black). Dark has great color but lacks in ears, type, and size. Where as, his distant cousin, Blavenous, inherits wonderful quality in these traits but does not have Extreme Black. I have two upcoming Extreme Black litters from Dark. I plan to breed all the does to Blavenous, then inbreed the offspring to eliminate coat recessives. Roan and Extreme Black will be interconnected lines to provide greater diversity and population size since they are fortunately compatible. Extreme Black will be my foundation variety since it supports both Siamese, Burmese, and Roan/Merle. I hope to greatly increase the frequency of Extreme Black and eventually breed out Normal Black from all my varieties.

Incorporate Satin coat within all the varieties. Satin has disappeared since the implementation of the outcrosses. However, it is slowly appearing within the recent litters. I plan to re-instate the shiny style back into all the varieties. I have always been a fan of the metallic and shimmering appearance.

After acquiring the offspring of Pitbull, I may assist a local friend, whom also breeds mice extensively. Her breeding goals revolve around variations of Brindle coats. In the spring of 2019, I plan to experiment with breeding Brindle Siamese mice, while maintaining my Extreme Black and Roan/Merle lines. This would allow more compatible outcrosses for her, since we frequently trade/borrow mice.

Current Populations:
20-30 Burmese Splashed, Siamese Splashed does- still need to be selected
30-40 Burmese Splashed, Siamese Splashed bucks- still need to be selected
10 Siamese Splashed does
3 Roan does with a total of 3 upcoming litters
2 Extreme Black does with a total of 2 upcoming litters (14 viable pups with no white-tips or hairs)
2 Extreme Black does, mated with Wyvern
2 Burmese Splashed does, mated with Wyvern
1 Beige Splashed doe, (has similar unique skeptical structure as Pitbull) mated with Wyvern
1 Seal Point Siamese Splashed with a litter, mated to Dragon
1 Extreme Black stud (Dark) Homozygous a^e gene
1 Normal Black stud (Blavenous) Size, son of Ravenous
1 Seal Point Siamese Splashed stud (Pitbull) Type, descendant of Mudd
1 Seal Point Siamese Splashed stud (Bruce) Backup, descendant of Mudd
1 Beige Splashed stud (Wyvern) Ears, son of Dragon
1 Beige Splashed stud (Dragon) Size

My goal in 2019 is to reach a population of 2,000 mice. I have already acquired 20 new 50-gallon bins, in addition to my current 10 50-gallon bins and 40 70-quart bins. Can't wait!

Page 7 of 11 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next