It is currently Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Concerns about plastics.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:29 pm 
Regular
Regular

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Or rather, not so much a concern as a curiosity, since plastics are so widely used in the keeping of fancy mice and aren't generally considered problematic health-wise.

Mice love to shred and chew, but do they ingest plastics? If so, has this ever caused health problems in fancy mice, such as obstructions?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Concerns about plastics.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:26 am 
Competition Moderator
Competition Moderator

They do not ingest it, no, even if they chew it to tiny bits (not all mice do this - it's usually a sign og boredom). However, it does happen very rarely that they swallow a bit by accident, and that can cause health problems, yes. But like I said, it's really rare.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:20 pm 
Regular
Regular

Fantasia Mousery wrote:
They do not ingest it, no, even if they chew it to tiny bits (not all mice do this - it's usually a sign og boredom). However, it does happen very rarely that they swallow a bit by accident, and that can cause health problems, yes. But like I said, it's really rare.

Thank you! I was considering alternatives if necessary, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:46 pm 
Regular
Regular

It's not feasible to remove everything from their environment that they could potentially choke on - not least because that includes food. Therefore I'd make decisions based on other criteria.

Chewing is an inherent part of being a rodent, so if you're particularly worried about chewing one thing in their environment, your best bet is to provide multiple options. For example mine all have safe tree branches, and cardboard.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm 
Regular
Regular

Torin wrote:
It's not feasible to remove everything from their environment that they could potentially choke on - not least because that includes food. Therefore I'd make decisions based on other criteria.

Chewing is an inherent part of being a rodent, so if you're particularly worried about chewing one thing in their environment, your best bet is to provide multiple options. For example mine all have safe tree branches, and cardboard.

Only if there was a likely risk of an item choking or causing intestinal obstruction -- then it would be very feasible for me to try and prevent that from happening to my stock. Everything in this world has risks, even breathing, so I'm definitely not trying to prevent all possible harm :lol:

In another interest of mine, plastics are a severe problem and at best require drastic measures to prevent a painful, prolonged death for the animals -- although they are still widely used in safe, sturdy forms. I didn't think going in that plastic would seriously be a problem with mice, given its widespread use in every area of their lives, from housing to enrichments, but it never hurts to ask and get a discussion going! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:21 pm 
Competition Moderator
Competition Moderator

The good thing about plastic interior is that it's very easy to clean :) I use a mix og plastic and wooden items, plus a few other things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:38 pm 
Regular
Regular

Fantasia Mousery wrote:
The good thing about plastic interior is that it's very easy to clean :) I use a mix og plastic and wooden items, plus a few other things.

I definitely have a strong appreciation of plastic for that! :lol:

Do you ever find that larger wooden items (hides and such) tend to hold an odor even with soaking?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:50 am 
Competition Moderator
Competition Moderator

I wash wooden items regularly, and let them dry completely before they get them back. I think maybe it depends on the type of wood used, because I have a few things that are years old and though you can definitely see it's been used, it doesn't smell and it works fine for what it's supposed to. Other things I've had to throw out along the way, but generally it takes several months before I think it becomes permanently smelly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]