It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kitten flea powder & pour on ivermectin for mites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you buy ivermectin anywhere that's labeled for mice, please, please share that with us. I sure can't find it anywhere! It's not "common sense" to apply information from one species to another. It's "common sense" to look up studies showing the effects of overdosage, underdosage, and dosing animals that are too young (including invitro) for the specific species that you're discussing. I think we're using different kinds of common sense, though. :D It is not "quite poisonous" or even terribly toxic to mammals, unless the mammal in question has a specific gene making it more vulnerable. It is quite toxic to animals with a different kind of blood-brain barrier, which is the only reason that young animals are sometimes affected differently than adult animals. That said, this medication has been shown not to cause major issues in prenatal mice at any kind of a rate that's to be considered significant.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:20 am 

I found what I believe to be mites on one of my mice. So I am sure I have more. I have bought the Iver-On which (after reading on the internet) I am to mix 4 parts water to one part Iver-on into a spray bottle and spray everything down in my mice homes. ... or was it 5:5 .....I also bought the horse paste but I am uncertain how much to put in the drinking water or if I am even supposed to use that at all unless I have pin worms ???

In this forum Laigaie wrote:

I use diluted water:ivomec 4:1 in order to get a 1mg/ml solution and use that as a fine mist spray for mites.

I use Eqvalan paste diluted in water for deworming. I used to have petshop mice, who once came in with pinworms, so now I worm any mice that are brought to me as rescues from petstores, in addition to the preventative ivermectin spray. This is not necessary for mice from exhibition breeders, where pinworms....

So maybe the paste is only for pinworms. But is it also 4:1 ?

also for how long do I do this? can I do it indefinitely as a preventative or do the mites build up a tolerance?

thank you in advance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Eqvalan paste is not 4:1. It has its own dosing regimen. You do not need the paste unless you have worms.

Having seen mites, use the 4:1,m 4 parts water to 1 part ivermectin pour-on and shake well each use.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There are brands on the market designed specifically for small animals. I think "Bob Martin" do a spot on one plus a few other pet product brands.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2