It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Breeding Plan + Blue & Champagne Mice in Southern Indian
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:52 pm 

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:51 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hello KingoftheWindlover,

Sounds like an interesting start, I wish you the best!

Regarding tank setup, I use following plastic container for all my mice: https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-17578006-Quart-ClearView-6-Pack/dp/B017WTTTS0/ref=pd_sim_201_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017WTTTS0&pd_rd_r=PY1DXJSAK7J02QPHEFDA&pd_rd_w=mJalm&pd_rd_wg=AXHIv&psc=1&refRID=PY1DXJSAK7J02QPHEFDA

Although, this one in the link is very expensive, $12.5 each. I acquired mine at Home Depot for $6 each. So you just have to look around for the best option for you.

If you are planning to breed on a large scale and consistently, I recommend plastic containers like above. They are very mobile and easy to change, cheap, fits a large wheel, and provide necessary space for your mice. If you have jumpers/climbers, you can put on the lid and drill holes on the top.

I house about 3-7 adult mice per tank.
If it is only a temporary set-up, like waiting for weaned mice to mature, I will house up to 20 sometimes. But I have to change the tank at-least once a week.

For water, I just use the metal backing holder type, with glass or plastic (glass is better long-run) water bottle.
For bedding, I use aspen. Pine is believe to cause respiratory problems.

People may disagree with this method, but I feed my mice a cheap brand of bulk dog food as their staple source. Additionally, every night I will drop meal leftovers, such as meat, cereal, veggies, peanut butter, etc. It works for me! Efficient and affordable.

If you have mice that you keep as pets or want to see constantly, you could use a glass tank but it is just a lot of unnecessary work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 pm 

Thank you for the advice KanRen! I will certainly keep that in mind as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:16 pm 

Just thought of this, but what kind of dog food do you feed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:58 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Just a quick thing, dog food is not really aimed to meet the nutritional needs of mice. Although KanRen does use that and I am sure it does ok, a bulk order of lab blocks is also pretty cheap (like $20-30 for 50lb of the cheaper one) and is formulated for rodents so would probably lead to more consistent results

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:42 am 
Regular
Regular

I feed Pedigree Dog Food to my mice.
For breeding does, I feed "Adult Complete Nutrition" because of the additional fat supplementation. Everyone else gets "Healthy Weight" because of the lower fat and higher protein content. I provide additional fiber for the mice by occasionally mixing dry peas and oatmeal with the dog food.

I have raised my mice on this diet for over 20 generations. My mice average 11 pups each litter and an average life span of 1 year, 8 months.
I recommend trying to maintain a consistent diet over the generations so that your mice can slowly adapt to what you feed them. Implement diversity as a specialty. Four of my adult mice will go through about a cup of this dog food every day, which is A LOT in my perspective.

With monthly coupons, I can get 55lb of Pedigree for about $10.00. As an individual who has to feed about 200 mice and pay college tuition, I am content.
TBH, their aspen bedding is more expensive than the food. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:40 pm 

Curious how much of the lab blocks they might consume daily by comparison. What if they need to eat half as much to get the same nutrition/calories? If so you're not really saving much money. I imagine you've already explored that possibility though.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 am 
Regular
Regular

Well, I never conducted a viable test.

Although, in the past I've fed my mice Kaytee, Oxbow, and Harlan-Teklad. Harlan-Teklad is normally the 'popular' lab block brand, but it can be difficult to find a vender because they are often only used for research purposes, not commercial. In addition, the shipping costs for Harlan-Teklad $20.00 and up.

My mice hated Kaytee, and often refused to eat the lab blocks. They were more willing to eat Oxbow and Harlam-Teklad. Although, I have heard of health and nutrition concerns about Oxbow.

I tried all these brands' rodent mixes, often they were cheap ingredients and fillers, such as corn, etc.

Ultimately, everyone is going have to find their own individual method that works for their situation and mice. Everyone should try to do research on what they are feeding, provide consistency and minor variability with healthy foods. Then test it, and see the responses from your mice.

Interesting thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6748

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Native Earth (the commercial harlan teklad) is very cheap shipping (just throwing it out there) from places like pet360 but mazuri is also a pretty common choice and the lower protein version is available in a lot of feed stores (50 lb bags for like $20)

Personally though I use a mix as well because it just seems that they like it more than the lab blocks. Its made up of livestock feed (pellets, oats, grains) and ends up being about $0.41/lb so that does work out more expensive than the cheaper mazuri or your dog food but it is also a protein/fat content that I am happy with in terms of breeding to improve size/type of my lines.

I can see why the healthy weight does work though, 21% protein 7% fat is a pretty decent thing and the top ingredients are corn and wheat so in that respect mostly the same as the filler from the lab blocks anyway although the only price I can seem to be able to find that is $12 for 15/lb which is significantly more than you are paying or than my own mix

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2