Attachment:
100_3226.JPG

Attachment:
100_3221.JPG

Attachment:
100_3220.JPG

Attachment:
100_3214.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Kan's S & B Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:30 am 
Regular
Regular

Pictures of 'Prince', a white Roan buck that currently serves as my primary Roan stud.

Attachment:
100_3228.JPG

Attachment:
100_3230.JPG

Attachment:
100_3240.JPG

Attachment:
100_3246.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Kan's S & B Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 pm 
Regular
Regular

Update March 19, 2017:

The breeding project has been uneventful since my last update. The pups continue to mature, in preparation for the next breeding cycle.

Current population is approximately:
200 Siamese
50 Roan
30 Black

Attachment:
100_3277.JPG

Attachment:
100_3285.JPG

Post subject: Re: Kan's S.B.R. Breeding Project [Large Images]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 am 
Regular
Regular

Update April 11, 2017:

Stock Selection:
Since my last update, I have reduced my current stock population to approximately:
12 Roan Does
1 Roan Buck "Prince"
1 PEW

20 Black Does
5 Black Bucks

30 Siamese Does
4 Siamese Bucks

I will continue to breed. The reduction of my stock was solely to increase selection quality as I try to consolidate the gene pool (leaning the fat). Additionally, I plan to do some major breeding this spring and summer, so I need the space.

Buck Offspring:
My recent bucks from the last generation for Siamese and Black show improved ears and type, which I am focusing on right now. I have selected the stud for each variation. I am temporarily disregarding shade/points and color. Once, I have bred in a proper type and ears in my gene pool, I will begin focusing on size and color.

I have noticed that mice are born with muscular or non-muscular ears. What I mean by this, is that some mice can flex their ears forward more than others. Overall, this creates a better appearance to the mouse, which most show-quality mice exhibit. Although, flex ears does not affiliate with large ears. Some mice can have large ears, but can not move them forward, rather they remain close to their skull. I noticed this trait of 'flex ears' at 4-6 weeks of age in my mice. I have begun to remove all mice from my breeding program that do not exhibit that physical characteristic.

Roan Experimentation:
I have put 'Prince' to the side. For my next breeding cycle, I have incorporated a PEW buck to breed with my Roan and Merle does. I am curious to see the results. I am hoping it may produce lighter/white Roans. Additionally, the PEW buck has larger ears than my white Roan stud.

Pet Store Closed-Down:
The pet store that I acquired my original stock from in 2014 recently closed down. In result, I do not have access to any fancy mice except for Petco and Petsmart. I never had the intention to use an out cross from a pet store, but the closure of the pet store did have an impact on me because it was my origin of becoming attached to mice and studying the variations (this pet store had a large variety of coats, although none show quality). Just seems like a realization of time passing and departure of a memorable location.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:32 pm 

I've got to say, you've made quite an improvement on your animals from where you started to where you are now! I really enjoy looking at the pictures and reading what you did to get there. Much luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:17 am 
Regular
Regular

Update May 7, 2017:

I have continued to reduce my fancy mice population. I am restarting my strains (Seal Point Siamese, Self Black, Roan/Merle) with a minimal selection of my best quality mice. Thereafter, I will slowly build up to my previous numbers.

In the last dozen generations, I would keep/breed the top 30% of my stock. This generation, I have limited to keeping/breeding the top 5% of my stock. I refer this as a "stock renewal".

Stock Renewal:
I have decided to distribute focus between individual breeding groups. I will improve type among three Black does, while maintaining homozygous Black. Thereafter, hopefully cross breeding to my well-colored Black doe or her offspring.

I have decided to keep three of my previous best Siamese does (sisters) from two generations ago. They are listed as 'general'. They do not excel in any specific physical characteristic but their overall phenotype is viable for my breeding program. Additionally, they are very tamed/docile and almost 2 years old, so they will become pets after they are retired from breeding.

I have kept three of my best-shaded Siamese does and one well-typed Siamese doe, who is also the youngest at two months of age.

Finally, I have my Merle/Roan line. I personally dislike the Merle coat.
I will designate one sub-line strictly for breeding only Roan coats. This will originate from my three remaining Roan does. I will continue to breed my main line, which can be Merle or Roan, eventually cross-breeding mice from the Roan-only sub-line.

Total Adult Stock Population: 15 Adult Fancy Mice
1 Black Doe (Color)
3 Black Does (Type)

1 Siamese Doe (Type)
3 Siamese Does (Color)
3 Siamese Does (General)

1 Merle Doe (Type)
3 Roan Does (Color)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:46 am 
Regular
Regular

Update May 27, 2017:

My new tank set up! It is safe, high surface area, sturdy, aesthetically appealing...

Attachment:
20170527_025456 - Copy.jpg

I am only kidding. This was only a temporary stacking while I cleaned their tanks and the rodent room.

The stock renewal is going well and the majority being completed. I only have 2 more litters, 4 bucks, and a few does that I am waiting to mature for removal transfer.

The "one well-typed Siamese doe, who is also the youngest at two months of age" has matured very well. Her ear placement/size and type is phenomenal. She had an accidental litter of five females a few weeks ago. I am not sure how she became pregnant or who the father is- although he was Siamese, as all the offspring are Seal Point Siamese. It is upsetting that she did not have any boys... I would like a new Siamese stud. Regardless, I will be breeding the majority of her daughters- combining them with the recent-born offspring of my other Siamese does.

I have three Roans, believed to be sisters. One of the Roans has a better ear placement and lighter color, which I prefer. But she seems not as 'active' and a bit laid back. I like to breed mice that are constantly on the wheel, fast, aggressive, and overall increased physical motor skills. The third Siamese has a black spot on her face, but all other physical attributes are viable. I'll likely breed all three to my Siamese stud soon.

I also have a Merle doe with good ears. I dislike the Merle coat, but I am making an exception because she has optimal ears and type. I am not going to breed her until I acquire a better stud.

My Blacks just had their litters but I am hoping to acquire a new Black stud too. Hopefully...

In my recent litters that I still have, I noticed a reappearance of the white head-spot. The hoppers that have the head-spot, all have a similar grey-smudged like color. I assume it is some form of Roan. I will have to wait until they have their final molt. But I do plan to revive my head-spot strain, dedicating one line to breeding only white head-spots. We will see later in time.

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4