Pet Mice Forum banner

homafrodite mouse!

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Autumn2005 
#1 ·
Well I guess a few homafrodite mice might of been born here over the years but I have never noticed until today!

This female I kept back for my breeding but the last couple of times I cleaned her out I had noticed she didnt look quite right! today I had a propper look at her as she is at breeding age now and noticed that she is not all woman...

s/he is available if anyone wants to give her a good home.

See less See more
#10 ·
well I have put this on another forum as well and have several other sugestions as to what it may be ... so we may not be looking at a homafrodite after all... tomorrow I will get her out again and take a video of her to give everyone more of an idea how they look.

#16 ·
Yes, I'm embarrassed to say that I have had the pleasure of looking a tank of young bucks and seeing a pile of pink. The thing that's even weirder is that the boys didn't fight over the doe at all! At least, not when I was in the mousery.

#18 ·
After being in talks with someone who was very helpful and having another look at the mouse closely I am sure it is vaginal atresia and not a homafrodite mouse.
what this means is the mouse's vagina has not opened up and is sealed and the bulge is a build up of fluids. I had heard about it in humans before but never thought about it in other mammals.

I didnt think the bulge acted like a prolapse but after a good look last night the vagina is very sealed and the bulge does act like fluid and will move in and out the area but is fixed in the area like testicals would be.

#20 ·
laoshu said:
After being in talks with someone who was very helpful and having another look at the mouse closely I am sure it is vaginal atresia and not a homafrodite mouse.
what this means is the mouse's vagina has not opened up and is sealed and the bulge is a build up of fluids. I had heard about it in humans before but never thought about it in other mammals.

I didnt think the bulge acted like a prolapse but after a good look last night the vagina is very sealed and the bulge does act like fluid and will move in and out the area but is fixed in the area like testicals would be.
I had never heard of this! I will remember this for the future definately!

W xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.