It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Paralyzed hind legs? *Now with video!* -- Update 4.05.11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
I'm at a complete loss here, everyone. Please help my beautiful little Chex man. :(

I had been away for two days before yesterday, and nothing was out of the ordinary with any of my mice. I came back yesterday to find my little Chex stuck upside down with his body twisted to one side. I picked him up, and his little face was as alert as ever and he didn't protest or act like he was in pain at all. He's since been dragging his little back legs behind him when he walks and the little back legs will suddenly twitch really fast for a moment every so often as he drags himself with his front legs to walk. He's been eating and drinking normally, and his poops are completely fine. I decided to change his litter and then put down only white tissues to see if he's peeing normally. Around his middle (intestinal region below lungs), he seems distended, but he does not act like he's in any pain at all even when I poke him there. He can't clean his underside so I have been cleaning it myself (when he pees, he pees on himself) and keeping the area as dry as possible to prevent skin irritation/breakdown.

Could he have suddenly become diabetic or something and is having neuropathy in his hind extremities..?

I don't know what's wrong, but I'm so worried. :( I've never, ever seen this before. What's scaring me even more is that it appears it might be happening to one of his daughters who is in a cage on the other side of the apartment (could it be genetic?). His daughter's hind legs are noticably weaker and it seems like her bottom is flatter against the bottom of the cage, if that makes any sense.

Please help me!

**Now with video**
Click to watch it:

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lizashleyc/cam%20videos/th_Chex-Injury.jpg

Last edited by Lizzle on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Paralyzed hind legs that will twitch very suddenly..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Does he have a wheel or any toys? It sounds like nerve damage to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

He has no wheel, but he had a little cardboard box that he chewed holes in and seemed to get stuck in.. needless to say I removed the box, but it was still extremely strange because the little box was made out of a soft cardboard that was easily chew-through by mouse standards. I don't know if the paralysis occured before he got 'stuck' upside down or after. I was actually just about to PM you, Rhas. This is the little satin boy I got from you so I was wondering if you had seen this before?

I just want the little guy to be able to live a 'normal' life; I'm hoping that this isn't going to worsen like some sort of mouse ALS or something. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:50 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Oh dear. No, I haven't seen anything like that in the line he came from. It's still going and all I've seen out of them is one mouse with a mammary tumor.
There are tons of ways he could have hurt himself, even with no toys or furniture he could have done it somehow. Can he feel pain? Is his tail limp? Try pinching him on the tail, or on the back end, and seeing if he responds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I actually just did, and although his tail is noticeably weaker, he still responded.

But in the last few minutes, Chex has very suddenly gone downhill.. his back is now all twisted and when I try to touch him below the head, he writhes in pain. He is keeping his bottom at a 90 degree angle from the rest of his body. I would take a picture but I can't find my camera charger. Anyway, he's now tachypneic on top of everything..

Edit: Although he is tachypneic, he is not using accessory muscles or hunched over. I'm 90% sure at this time that he is in end stage renal failure, but I'm baffled as to what may have caused this.. My poor little guy.

Edit again: Still tachypneic, and here's what else has become apparent: blotchy, pale, discolored tail and hind legs, as well as breathing that seems impaired on only one side (shallow and sow breathing compared to the other side). I'm glad that this is likely not genetic, and I think you're right in that he may have injured his spine somehow.. but I'm still confused as to why this suddenly seems to be getting worse so quickly. He's so thirsty and bloated, too.. that would also support end-stage renal failure, etc. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:44 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Oh dear. . . What has he been eating?

I think you're going to have to put him down. .

I do hope he fathered some litters, his colours were really nice, and those two were so sweet!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

He's been eating only kitten food, which is what I feed most of my mice (the non-obese ones xD).

His breathing is not as fast and shallow, suddenly, but yet another thing has become apparent - he has a big squishy lump on one side of his abdomen. Since it's squishy.. I'm guessing that it might be a hematoma, which could cause some rhabdomyelitis, which in turn can result in renal failure.. :|

I think I will have to put him down too.. it's just such a shame. :( He did father a beautiful litter of satins, though, with the other gorgeous brindle and white lady from you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Poor thing. Maybe you need to be giving them a better diet. It's my understanding that the taurine it cat food isn't terribly good for mice.
They probably should be getting a more varied diet. Don't know if that has anything do do with his condition though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:27 pm 
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Oh I had no idea about the taurine. D: Generally I add seed mix to the kitten food and feed fresh veggies when I can, but he had gotten rather portly, so I stopped adding in the seeds and he appeared to be more healthy after I did that for awhile.

I once heard of a similar thing happening to a rat (somewhere online, I think!), and the rat magically got better after awhile.. though I doubt that's the case for Chex. It looks like all I can do is give him loves and watch him for now. <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You would have been better off taking out the kitten food rather than the seeds.

My mice never get veg... only the occasional few dandelion leaves from my garden. They dont really need veg, and too much can make them sick.

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next