It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Dog and Cat Food for Mouse Diet Supplementation - Warning
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:05 am 

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
I figured I'd make a new post for this, as it was a response to a problem someone unfortunately had with sudden deaths of their mice... Not ALL dog and cat foods are a good diet supplement for your mouse. Not even for cats and dogs in most cases...

Do beware of some brands of dog and cat food. Most brands (Yes, most. It's sad.) are poisonous to the dogs and cats they are marketed to, because there is next to no regulations for pet food. Royal Canin, Purina, Beneful, Iams and nearly everything that is heavily advertised and pushed by veterinarians is responsible for the deaths of many cats and dogs due to toxic fillers in the food, giving them cancers and organ damage.

Good cat and dog foods include Acana, Orijen (the first two are the same producers, but Orijen has more protein), Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Lifetime and Fromm. They contain minimal fillers (if any) and won't kill anything it's fed to. The first two are human-grade.

I know what you're thinking though. "This sounds pricey..." and it is. Very. But at the thought of you buying a $60-$100 bag of pet food, most stores will give you samplers for free that you can use for your mice to supplement protein.

Holy cow, I sound like an ad... but this is my experience working in pet care all my life. Just a long, hopefully helpful note to anyone feeding dog/cat food as a supplement. :)

Advertisement

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]