Pet Mice Forum banner

Colour changing mouse? o.O

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SilverWings 
#1 ·
So I looked in on one of my colonies today and a mouse that was previously brown is not brown anymore? Not entirely at least. Very confused o_O

He was definitely solid brown when he went in to the tank, he's about 3 months old. I first noticed splotches about a month ago, thought he'd gotten dirty and didn't think much of it. But I saw him today during cleaning and was very surprised at the amount of black on him! (I also thought he was a she and there are babies in there now...woops...) I've never had any others change colour before, brown mice have stayed brown, although most of them get made snake food at a younger age than this...

Any idea's what gene might be causing this?

See less See more
#7 ·
Doubt it. There have been no others in my lines yet, and I'm probably down in to my 8th-10th generations. The foundation stock was typical pet shop mice, broken blacks, doves and a tan/agouti (?) doe. I do get the odd random colour pop up every now and then, have a broken chocolate doe at the moment. I spoke to a person who has a colony of does all from me, and she said she's had a couple of mine change colour. One appeared brindle for a bit then went solid again, one went from a light tan to a very dark agouti!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.